Thread: Local Tackle

Default Local Tackle

A lot has been written about the Sensation rods and I am sure anyone who needs more info can do a search.

My question is more about the Kingfisher range. Does anyone know if a Kingfisher rod is "brought into the world" as a Kingfisher rod.

If you loook at the Kingfisher range of surf rods the Poseidon series (poseidon 5, Poseidon HMG) of Kingfisher Rods are rated extremely highly.
    The Kingfisher Fly rod range doesn't seem to be very popular amongst flyfishermen. Has anyone tried the Kingfisher Stimulator or Gold Class Flyrods?
    And are these truly made specifically to be sold as Kingfisher rods?

It is a bit like the Elbe reels in South Africa. In the UK and Europe the Elbe reels are sold as Shakespeare Trion reels which are quite highly regarded as a mid priced value for money reel for round about the same price (approx R900). I believe that this specific reel has been discontinued by Elbe in South Africa and was taken over by one of our two large suppliers in SA - however they have changed the name and bumped the price

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    A lot has been written about the Sensation rods and I am sure anyone who needs more info can do a search.

My question is more about the Kingfisher range. Does anyone know if a Kingfisher rod is "brought into the world" as a Kingfisher rod.

If you loook at the Kingfisher range of surf rods the Poseidon series (poseidon 5, Poseidon HMG) of Kingfisher Rods are rated extremely highly.
    The Kingfisher Fly rod range doesn't seem to be very popular amongst flyfishermen. Has anyone tried the Kingfisher Stimulator or Gold Class Flyrods?
    And are these truly made specifically to be sold as Kingfisher rods?

It is a bit like the Elbe reels in South Africa. In the UK and Europe the Elbe reels are sold as Shakespeare Trion reels which are quite highly regarded as a mid priced value for money reel for round about the same price (approx R900). I believe that this specific reel has been discontinued by Elbe in South Africa and was taken over by one of our two large suppliers in SA - however they have changed the name and bumped the price
    What a coincidence. I recently fished the Natal coast with a local friend and his son. He was fishing with a Kingfisher 10 wt ( Not sure what model ). His son and I were fishing XI 2. He could cast at least 6 m further than us (His son is a prof. FF Guide). We swopped rods and were then also able to reach the additional 6m mark. His kingfisher rod was a 6th of the price. Makes you wonder.
    Last edited by 1in10; 08-05-09 at 01:09 PM.

He also had tendonitis in his elbow.

I think their marketing could use some work, I have never seen a Kingfisher rod (flyfishing that is) in any of the tackle shops I frequent.

Wouldn't mind testing one though...

My experience with the Kingfisher rods started and ended with my very first fly rod, which was a Malachite Gold Series.

They are the limp d!cks of the fly rod world, not only that, but they were extremely heavy so any benefit you might have had from the softer rod in terms of accuracy was immediately negated by the weight.

Having said that, I caught many troot on it untill I learnt better and now I know what I like in a rod. As a cheap beginners rod, it was a good buy ... though it has since been relegated to sitting in it's tube for the last oh I don't know ... 5 maybe 6 years.

Not sure if they come into the world as Kingfisher rods though, so can't comment on that.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I have a kingfisher "silver river " 6# and although the action is superb and, the quality i lacking. There are cracks around all the joints and i had to get one section replaced after it broke while casting within the first month or 2. also its quite heavy and it just fells like its going to break...difficult to explain. anyway, i wont buy another one.

Kingfisher rods used to be available from Sportsmans warehouse as combo kits. You could get a rod, reel and line for a few hundred bucks.
    They were made from generic, no name brands, with a name stamped on it. One of the things I did notice, was that the feel of the rod changed from batch to batch, where you would get a 6wt in a particular model, which was a slow action rod, and the next batch a few months later was a fast action rod, but they both had the same model number. In fact, dirfferent rods from the same batch, even felt different.
    I don'tknow if they were locally branded, but who cares, they are horrible rods and really heavy from what i remember.
    One needs to remember, that a rod's castability does not make it a good rod. Any reasonable caster should be able to cast even the cheapest worst rod, with some degree of efficiency, so this is definatly not the measurement of a good rod. A crappy rod, will do exactly what a good rod will do, the difference is not "what it does", but "how it does it".