Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: CTS fly blank order

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Neil, CTS rod models are rather confusing and have changed in the last year or so. Here they are ordered (according to my understanding) from fastest to slowest:
    1. Revo Salt
    2. Affinity X
    3. Affinity One
    4. Affinity MX (was Maxim)
    5. Quantam
    6. Quartz (glass/carbon blend)
    7. Vintage

The Affinity One has a firmer butt and softer tip than the MX, so should be better for distance casting. The MX is designed for casting shorter distances so is probably better suited for SA streams. Saying that I haven't cast the MX, only its predecessor the Maxim. I would probably choose the MX for weights 4 and under. Not that the One can't cast short, it can - beautifully.

For a 6 piece travel rod to be used in SA and perhaps for general travel abroad I would lean towards an 8 1/2 ft 4wt MX.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the MX.
    I see they make a 9', 20# (yes 20 weight) in Revo Salt model.
    Dang...that will haul a whale out!
    Wonder how it casts?

Guys

I have just completed an Affinity MX 8.0' 2wt and have done a few trial casts in the garden using a Sage QDT 2wt line. I am very impressed with the performance of the rod. Seems to be able to do a bit of everything and do each element well. Tight loops, open loops, roll cast, distance casting, close distance rod loading - all are handled effortlessly. I am off to KZN next week and will test the rod on the streams alongside my Sage 2wt TXL and give some more feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Guys

I have just completed an Affinity MX 8.0' 2wt and have done a few trial casts in the garden using a Sage QDT 2wt line. I am very impressed with the performance of the rod. Seems to be able to do a bit of everything and do each element well. Tight loops, open loops, roll cast, distance casting, close distance rod loading - all are handled effortlessly. I am off to KZN next week and will test the rod on the streams alongside my Sage 2wt TXL and give some more feedback.
    Hi Neil

Will be good to hear feedback. I ordered a 5wt, 4-pce Affinity One to compare to my Sage Z-Axis and some other blanks. Will also give feedback once blanks arrive and are built up.
    (PS: You were right...they are not so fast over there! Will give feedback on E.T.A. of our blanks once I have it...but said they must send Freight Courier to save time)

Mike

Mike

They forgot about my order! After waiting patiently for about 3/4 weeks I contacted them again and they investigated and confirmed that nothing had been done in that time re processing my order. They apologized profusely and sent the items eventually. Different level of service to what I am used to from AA and other USA based suppliers.

They make a really fine product though. I think you will be impressed. The only thing missing is the SAGE sticker on the side to appeal to the likes of Andre and other SAGE snobs

I am off to KZN next week and will test the rod on the streams alongside my Sage 2wt TXL and give some more feedback.
    Thanks for the call, you plick! Streams are closed, don't make me set the water police on yo ass!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Thanks for the call, you plick! Streams are closed, don't make me set the water police on yo ass!
    Shaun

Sorry man, was going to contact you. Streams closed? Hmmm. All of them? Even private waters? Must talk to my sources!

Shaun

Sorry man, was going to contact you. Streams closed? Hmmm. All of them? Even private waters? Must talk to my sources!
    Ja Ja! Don't worry, I'm going hog hunting all of next week, so I'll be out of contact anyway.

CTS blanks should be leaving next week, they have told me. I got a 5wt Affinity One for myself...also Golden Olive. Keen to build it and test it against my Sage Z-Axis, and another private label blank that I have gotten recently...which weighs less than the Z-Axis blanks! Tested the rod out last weekend...casts effortlessly and is super light. I was really impressed.
    Want to pit all three rods against each other (Z-Axis, CTS, and private label rod) and see which comes out trumps...what the different actions are...pro's/cons...etc etc.
    Will post some pics of finished projects, when done...and the results. Should be interesting!

Mike

Any news yet?

Mike

Any news yet?
    Nope, still waiting.

Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3