Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CTS fly blank order

Arrow CTS fly blank order

Hi Guys

I'm busy placing an order for some CTS blanks that I need for specific weight/length builds...as they were the only guys who make such a wide range and selection. Anyone want to join in on the order for a blank?
    I don't often buy from them (I use other blanks mainly) but they are seriously good fly rod blanks, so if anyone is interested please let me know. It may be a long time before I order from them again.
    But it needs to be quick as I will be placing the order with the guys in New Zealand probably by latest Wednesday night or so.

So if you want in, act fast!

Regards
    Mike

Mike

I'm busy building a 8' 2wt 4 piece on a CTS Affinity MX blank. Lovely blank. I just hope the performance of the rod matches the blank's apparent quality. On a diiferent note, I had to pay CTS by money order which ended up with me getting in to trouble with the customs people. On my overseas orders I usually pay with a credit card and have no hassles but CTS do not accept credit card payments. Thr money transfer route alerted the customs people who contacted me regarding my import licence, which, of course, I do not have. After much apologizing they let me have my goods without penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Mike

I'm busy building a 8' 2wt 4 piece on a CTS Affinity MX blank. Lovely blank. I just hope the performance of the rod matches the blank's apparent quality. On a diiferent note, I had to pay CTS by money order which ended up with me getting in to trouble with the customs people. On my overseas orders I usually pay with a credit card and have no hassles but CTS do not accept credit card payments. Thr money transfer route alerted the customs people who contacted me regarding my import licence, which, of course, I do not have. After much apologizing they let me have my goods without penalties.
    Hi Neil

Thanks for the heads up...I normally pay either via c/card too, or direct transfer...plus I have an importer's code, so it's cool.

All the blanks I have to bring in are the Affinity One series...slightly (only slightly) slower than the MX. (Sort of Z-Axis vs TCX scenario).

What colour did you get? These have to be Golden Olive...awesome colour.

Mike

Mike

I did not specify a colour but the blank arrived in a very dark green (similar to the colour of an XP). Beautiful finish. I hesitate to say this but the finish is better than Sage imho. Thr blank is not inscribed in any way (unlike Sage) hence my posting on methods of inscription. How do you personalize your customs rods? By hand, computer cut lettering etc?

So tempting....but alas, sanity has to prevail.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Mike

I did not specify a colour but the blank arrived in a very dark green (similar to the colour of an XP). Beautiful finish. I hesitate to say this but the finish is better than Sage imho. Thr blank is not inscribed in any way (unlike Sage) hence my posting on methods of inscription. How do you personalize your customs rods? By hand, computer cut lettering etc?
    Hi Neil

Mostly by hand...I use a lettering pen and a mixture of acrylic paints and acrylic thinning agents (to get it nice and thin, flowing nicely). My handwriting is also not the greatest on earth, but it does lend a "personal" touch to the rod.

You could ask a printer to do a transfer set for you. Only problem is, they print it out by page...so you will have like 50 of the same writing to use.
    Then just transfer it to the rod, and coat. It's the neatest. Just not so cost effective for one rod...but not TOO bad in the great scheme of things.
    I did Nicholas' rod like that...his name and the Union Jack...see here:
    (Obviously you can specify colour, font, etc...it's just they have a set-up fee of course...so the two stickers you use works out quite a bit in the end). Sorry, pic is a little blurry...but the result was very neat.

Mike

Thanks for the tip. I need more info though. What exactly do I ask the printers to do? Make a transfer for me on rice paper or what? Have you a "tame" printer that could do this for me?

If this detail is boring for the forum readers we can do this via pm.

I am interested in another blank as I have enough Struble and H&H fittings for another rod (I was going to build a rod on a Garrison blank to compare with CTS but this fell though). For the life of me I cannot think what to build though. I'll think about it and let you know by Wednesday. Maybe a 5 or 6 piece travelling rod.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Neil, it will be well worth your while to talk ET, also a member on this forum.
    His "branding" methods are some of the best I have come across. I can pm you his number if you like.
    Please do, thanks.

Hi Mike,what price are these blanks?? You know why i am asking
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Hi Mike. Do you get a 10' 3wt blank or what would be the closest. Cause I'm fascinated by any DIY related projects and recently started researching the subject. Would love to build my own rod so your tips would help alot and as you say these are awesome blanks, I'm quite keen to give it a go. And how much would they go for roughly?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast