Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kent's Baby Rainbow....?

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Anyone have a decent picture - and pattern - for the fly "Kent's Baby Rainbow"?

Hairy Fairy Flies used to have them, but I haven't seen them for ages, so thought I'd give it a go tying myself.

TIA.
    Jan I remember the fly quite well - think it was something along these lines, although I don't have any left to take a pic of:

Hook: Long Shank Streamer
    Tail: Pink hackle fibres
    Body: Flat silver tinsel with and over-wrap of silver oval tinsel
    Wing: Bronze Mallard over olive and very little blue squirrel tail (or something similar) with a strand of pink floss down either side
    Throat hackle: Red

It was tied along the lines of a traditional streamer, and I remembr being puzzled by it as real baby rainbows don't have the pink line. It still caught plenty of fish, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys...

In order:

1) Nicholas - also can't find any info on the web, closest thing is this one called a "Marvin":

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern6611.html

2) Dave - you got Michael's email? HF don't seem to have a website, and I while I found an email (@intekom...) dunno if it's valid.

3) Chris - waddaya mean you have a digital camera and can't work it??

4) Clarias - see Byron's comment, they seem to work here!

5) Chris - see Byron's comment, they seem to work here!

6) Byron - I was in Raynes' shop yesterday, will go look again, must have missed the buggers! Wildfly have some, but they are not the right colours....

7) Nicholas - good idea that one, again similar to the "Marivin" using the mallard flank across the top.

Thanks again guys!
    Digital camera - I'm still 19th century, not even 20th century, let alone 21st!!

Re fly working - it probably just reinforces what a lousy flyfisher I am! Seriously I think it's one of those confidence things, like how I've never caught a fish on a Peter Ross. Just for fry I've a couple of other imitations I've a bit more faith in, as I mentioned no disrespect to Barry Kent, he was at the forefront of innovative flies a few years back as Mike Petersen will readily attest!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    Jan I remember the fly quite well - think it was something along these lines, although I don't have any left to take a pic of:

Hook: Long Shank Streamer
    Tail: Pink hackle fibres
    Body: Flat silver tinsel with and over-wrap of silver oval tinsel
    Wing: Bronze Mallard over olive and very little blue squirrel tail (or something similar) with a strand of pink floss down either side
    Throat hackle: Red

It was tied along the lines of a traditional streamer, and I remembr being puzzled by it as real baby rainbows don't have the pink line. It still caught plenty of fish, though.
    Thanks Mark - that sounds the ticket.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Digital camera - I'm still 19th century, not even 20th century, let alone 21st!!

Re fly working - it probably just reinforces what a lousy flyfisher I am! Seriously I think it's one of those confidence things, like how I've never caught a fish on a Peter Ross. Just for fry I've a couple of other imitations I've a bit more faith in, as I mentioned no disrespect to Barry Kent, he was at the forefront of innovative flies a few years back as Mike Petersen will readily attest!

Chris is this the same Barry Kent,

http://home.att.net/~kholm/PHLYTYING/PPTK83.html
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Chris is this the same Barry Kent,

http://home.att.net/~kholm/PHLYTYING/PPTK83.html

One and same, Nicholas.

This is Ken Holm's site for his "fishing flies on stamps" (been meaning to do my own version, as I have a much more extensive fishing flies stamp collection than Ken )

More info on Barry is here:

http://home.att.net/~kholm/PHLYTYING/PPTKhistory.html

and

http://www.fishingflystamps.com

(there's a couple of email addresses for Barry hidden in the 2nd site, I have emailed Barry, but awaiting a response...)
    Last edited by JanK; 20-05-09 at 11:03 AM.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Yes I've got those beautiful Transkei fishing stamps mounted on my wall with the actual flies also below them - It was something High Flies did I think in the early 1980s?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2