Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you tried these flies before

Lets see what comes from this.
    I am going to fish one or two of them on saturday,and I f i do strike gold....wel then maybe I have the new secret wepon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    Hey guys I was a bit bored in the office so I decided to scratch around on the net and have a look at what I found. One is a silicone baitfish but tied in fantastic colours. Some off the flies are new and I certainly think they can hook us a couple off fish(especialy leeries ).
    Steve are you keen to try and tie some off these,I will buy the materials(I must buy my own vice now )

Have a look at the Shrimp patern.....looks like a killer for the grunter and the cob??
    The Gummy minnow is a wicked looking fly - I recently purchased a gummy minnow "kit". Its a very simple fly to tie as its literally made of silicone sheets that "melt" onto each other- upon contact. Obviously you need to trim the sheets to the desired shape.
    The only bugger is that the sticky side loves to grab hold of your finger, its a rather strong adhesive. I have wrestled with it on more than one occasion. Otherwise its easy enough to tie allowing you to churn out the flies if need be.
    As for movement - I wouldn't hold my breath. I think it'll do fine for aggressively feeding fish such as yellowtail. The only thing I would do is to tie
    on a large hook and make the whole fly bigger - that'll look sweet!

hi sailie
    what do you use on the outer skin of your flies for the stickiness? do you tie any material on the hook shank first?
    cheers
    roland

We have tied it onto bigger hooks 2/o's and the look mean,we tied in bucktail ect to give it diferent colours ect and they look fantastic,just so that the R&S guys cant say that,that is not a fly its a lure,well we made it a fly.

As I previosly said......

Watch this space
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Default Gummy fly sucess

Hi

I have fished the Gummy fly with good results with the elf in the burg and with small kingies further up the coast
    what i Did to eliminate the lack of movement is to make the body shorter and let the flash (halo wapsi) hang out the back a bit
    The only negitive thing I have found is that the flys remain "sticky" and have to be stored in seperate ziplocks to stop them clumping together

I have a couple of "extra " if anyone wants to have a try with them ....
    Last edited by damage; 21-02-07 at 05:54 PM.
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

hi damage
    just came across your post now. i went to an art shop and they have a sort of foil art paper with all sorts of different colours. i lay my fly on this paper and transferred a silver flashy look onto the fly. looks stunning. i had already made the flies but next time i will lay the gummie material down first, to transfer the effect and then proceed to finish the fly. my gummies are not sticky at all. here is a site that has a ***house full of different foils. my wife bought her stuff at a craft flea market
    www.foilart.co.za
    hope this helps
    cheers
    rols
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123