Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Natal Yellowfish (Scaly)

Tell us more about your setup and the approach you used on the previous outting.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Sure, I was using 3.7kg fluorocarbon tippet with 3 nymphs. Think it was a brown caddis on the point, GRHE as the control fly and a mayfly nymph on the "top". I choose these as I have confidence in the Vaal with them. I didn't have time to really change flies so I stuck it out with these. Had a strike indicator and made longish casts (8-10m or so) as the water vis was really good...I tried the deeper glides at the tail end of the deep pool as well as the glides following the rapids. Also had a few casts into the shallower water of the rapids...I kept adjusting my indicator to get the flies down to the bottom as well! The water I fished was at the deepest about 2m...I fished the morning from around 8:30-9:30. Could they have moved into the deeper water? Is afternoon a better bet? I must take a boat next time as I was really limited to a small section. The farm owner also told me that he has a big section of rapids further down the river, but access to the spot is difficult. He'll said he'll take me there on their motorbikes next time...Good idea?

Thanks
    Jimbo
    "When you on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you'll ever get." - Jack Leonard

Hi
    Latest "Flyfishing" mag has an article on scalies
    Regards
    Craig

Thanks Craig, I'll give that a read! Any info is precious...
    "When you on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you'll ever get." - Jack Leonard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2