Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Best Tip 2009

Default Mylar tubing

When you add mylar tubing to zonker minnow tipe flies what is the most frustrating factor/s?

1.The mylar tend to unraffle at the ends.
    2.When you add thread to the mylar to secure, it slips off cause you can only apply pressure with your bobbin hand(1 way away from you)or when you start to do tighter wraps the thread tend to come loose/undone

Solutions

1.Burn the ends of the tubing with a lighter or similar just before you slide it over the formed body.
    2.Instead of adding thread directly over the body similar to adding thread to a hook do this;

Once your underbody is completed,whether you used foam,lead tape or chenille,etc,slide the mylar tubing over the underbody.

Make a few wraps of thread around your left index finger first,2 or 3 wraps is fine(assuming you're a righty)then proceed to add the thread around the body as per usual.

You now have the ability to pull away from you and offcourse to you,double strength.

Attachment 6030
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 02-06-09 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    When you add mylar tubing to zonker minnow tipe flies what is the most frustrating factor/s?
    I have found another fix for working with mylar that wants to unravel. I cut a thin strip of masking tape (2mm wide) and give a single wrap arouond the mylar piece at both ends. When you have tied it in you just remove the tape and trim.

Another tip with mylar is to take 3 loose wraps around it and apply even pressure on the bobbin-end and the tag-end of the thread. It forms a nice even wrap and prevents the mylar from bunching up.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Exclamation Super glue and dacron knots

I found out the hard way to never use super glue on dacron knots. I lost a flyline, a while ago to a good fish. It seems that the super glue has a corrosive element that disolves dacron.

Rather use UV Knot Sense or nothing at all!

When tying suspender buzzers or any fly that uses a polystyrene ball. Instead of stockings, use bait mesh/gauze. It's easy to minipulate and folds perfectly over any size poly ball. You'll find it in any papgooi store and they come in many colours. They made by Balzer and dirt cheap as well, I bought a packed of hot orange mesh 10 leaves inside for R4.50. Those 10 leaves will last you a vey long time.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    When tying suspender buzzers or any fly that uses a polystyrene ball. Instead of stockings, use bait mesh/gauze. It's easy to minipulate and folds perfectly over any size poly ball. You'll find it in any papgooi store and they come in many colours. They made by Balzer and dirt cheap as well, I bought a packed of hot orange mesh 10 leaves inside for R4.50. Those 10 leaves will last you a vey long time.
    or rather than using polystyrene balls use the packing foam you get around fruit, it looks even better and you don't need stocking to hold it to the hook.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    or rather than using polystyrene balls use the packing foam you get around fruit, it looks even better and you don't need stocking to hold it to the hook.
    I've been tying a lot of these lately and have been using either "loco" popper foam or rock and surf bait foam - the loco has a really great hue to it and the R&S bait foam is about R10 a sheet.
    Check your knots!

Take an old hacksaw blade a break a piece of around 20mm long, makes a great dubbing rake for getting dubbing from furs and masks. You can get fancy and mount a handle on it if you want but it works fine for me.

Also, if you want to dull your copper beads for wary trout, heat them up over a burner till they are red hot and they will loose their shine.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Brilliant mick

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5