Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expanding foam for poppers

Default Expanding foam for poppers

A visit to my local hardware to get some marine silicon for some silicon flies I want to tie, found me perusing around some of the other shelves in search of anything useful for fly tying. I think I may have made a great discovery in my meanderings.....expanding foam! It comes with a 6mm tube which is attached to the nozzle and this dispenses a column of froth, which expands to twice it's size and sets within minutes into a cylindrical shape. The end product is a cylinder of extremely light weight condensed foam which returns to its shape when kneeded between the fingers. I think this could definitely be utilized for making light weight poppers. It would adhere to a hook beautifully. One could even make a mould, and inject this stuff inside, to set to whatever shape you desire! Worth experimenting with I think.

There are 3 or 4 different manufacturers from what i could see, but the one I got was Sika Boom expanding foam. A 250ml can cost me R45.00
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Excellent! Must check this out, I'm sick of cutting my fingers off with Stanley knives and razor blades trying to fashion foamhead poppers. Do you reckon you could mould it round a hook and then shape it and let it set or would you have to affix it to the hook in the usual way with a slit through the dried foam?

That sounds like a great idea. That's stuff is very lightweight and I'm sure it will also be tough enough for the salt water. Much cheaper than buying the shaped foam popers from the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Excellent! Must check this out, I'm sick of cutting my fingers off with Stanley knives and razor blades trying to fashion foamhead poppers. Do you reckon you could mould it round a hook and then shape it and let it set or would you have to affix it to the hook in the usual way with a slit through the dried foam?
    Chris! How are you doing?
    I would imagine making a mould that could take a hook could end you up with something that's very complex. Let alone positioning the hook correctly to have the correct action once set. Maybe there's some of the guys that's a bit techical that's got some ideas.

Sends like a logical idea. Give it a bash and post up some pics of your results. Hopefully the leeries have a pref for Sikaboom!

That stuff can be easily shaped with sand paper. I use 220 grit to get rough shape and go progressively finer.

Thanks, I could then use the sandpaper to file my nails - if I had any fingers left! Good tip thanks

Having literally only just discovered the stuff, I am sorry that I cant offer any advice at this stage. All i can say is, i am sitting with a hardened piece that I squeezed out of the nozzle and have been playing with it ever since, and so far it has held up nicely. I think it will work beautifully. I will leave the creative stuff for you guys to work out....and hopefully you'll share it with me!

Seriously though, I am sure that collectively we will come up with some great solutions to working with the product. It certainly looks viable from a flytying point of view.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Here's the first idea. What one could do to ensure that it stays on the hook is to tie a post on the hook. A simple staple from a staple gun would work. You would then have a double prong that would serve the purpose of foundation posts.

[QUOTE=frikb;14942]Chris! How are you doing?
    QUOTE]

Great thanks frik. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Perhaps we should all give it a bash and post pics of our attempts for a bit of fun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast