Thread: Sandblasting a reel?

Default Sandblasting a reel?

Does anyone know who would be able to do a decorative sandblasting on my Vision GT2/4? I want to try and take off some of the shine and think this may be the 'prettiest' way?
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Does anyone know who would be able to do a decorative sandblasting on my Vision GT2/4? I want to try and take off some of the shine and think this may be the 'prettiest' way?
    I've tried it, and it works - WELL I might add. Get a guy that knows his stuff though!! I would also suggest microbeading, and not sand, the microbeading leaves a smoother surface. Look at the anodising thread on another "local" site about Reel Art ... some good tips in those links ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Sandblasting wil probably lead to some corrosion issues in salt... why do you want to do it?

On a different tangent, I see that Abel are offerering a process called "reverse anodizing" to p0rn up a dinged and scratched reel. I have decided to have my S14 done in the Tarpon color after I had some corrosion issues after its first offshore trip.

Sorry to go a bit off track here - probably not what you are looking for in making your reel less blingy. Always thought a well used reel has some houding vs the brand new, never been used off the shelve look?
    Last edited by HolyGT; 28-05-09 at 06:31 PM.

Instead of sandblasting, you could "desmut" the reel in caustic soda, this will trash any colour on the reel and eat a bit of the anodising away. You can then mask areas and re-anodise a few times to get the colours you want.
    DONT do this without reading up on thourougly.

Battery acid for anodising is hard to come by nowdays, but onece you have that, a lead plate, alu welding rod and abattery charger you are on the way..
    Regards
    Craig

Its my small streams reel and Im just paranoid about flash. Also, its a bit bruised and battered so the sandbasting/microbeading might cover that up. Do you think there will be a problem with corrosion if I only use it in fresh water?
    Anodising over a matte finish? Sounds interesting?
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Its my small streams reel and Im just paranoid about flash. Also, its a bit bruised and battered so the sandbasting/microbeading might cover that up. Do you think there will be a problem with corrosion if I only use it in fresh water?
    Anodising over a matte finish? Sounds interesting?
    If you cannot find those links let me know, there is some AWESOME info on home anodising.

The anodising will just protect the raw metal, but ja, doing that over a "matt"/"pitted" surface might be just what you are looking for!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett