Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ORI Tagging Programme

Default ORI Tagging Programme

It would be interesting to see which forum members are part of the Oceanic Research Institute's tagging programme. According to the ORI newsletter Niel Malan, a Flytalk member, tagged 22 fish during 2007. Another prominent fly-fisher tagging fish for the ORI is Anthony Kruger, who tagged 72fish during 2007. I also joined the ORI tagging programme and have tagged 15fish since October last year.

How many of the rock & surf forumers are ORI members?

Criteria for tagging fish are very specific to certain categories. The most common category is D-tags, used for small fish in estuaries etc. You can only tag fish between 30 and 60 cm in this category.

Some interesting facts about the tagging programme:
    Species most tagged are galjoen with 47 170 fish tagged and 3 382 fish recaptured.
    The longest distances travelled by recaptured fish are: 1897 km (ragged tooth shark), 1790km (bronze whaler), 1737km (pickhandle barracuda), 1678km (elf), 1670km (garrick).
    Longest period free before being recaptured: 4685 days (ragged tooth shark) and 4370 days (dusky kob).
    The highest percentage of fished recaptured in a specific species are speckled snapper with 30.07% of tagged fish recaptured. An interesting one here is great barracuda with 16 of the 67 fish tagged being recaptured, thus a recapture percentage of 23.53%, which is very high.

I would recommend anyone with an interest in saltwater angling to join the ORI tagging initiative.
    Last edited by Conrad Botes; 03-06-09 at 06:19 PM.

Whilst I read the newsletters etc, and would love to participate, being a vaalie I just don't catch enough fish to justify being a tagger...
    I think HolyGT may tag the odd fish?
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

I have been a member for years. Started when I was at high school. But lately I just don't get out to sea. Concentrating way to much time chasing the 'spikkel life bait'=trout.
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Hi there

Just wondering what you need to do to become involved in this? Would it work for someone overseas, or is it specific to the South African coastline?

Beefy

hi conrad.i looked into this and thought it was a bit expensive.four tags for 250.think its abit heavy for us trying to give something back.or have i got my calculations wrong.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    hi conrad.i looked into this and thought it was a bit expensive.four tags for 250.think its abit heavy for us trying to give something back.or have i got my calculations wrong.

Hi Stephen

The money you pay is actually for the tagging kit. It's a weatherproof pouch, tape and tag-applicator which is manufactured overseas and the costliest item. After you have used your first 5 tags, they will send you more, free of charge. So it's an initial outlay only.

Beefy, it's for SA waters only, but I think you can tag in Moz and Nam as well. You can contact Elinor Bullen at the ORI ( ellie@ori.org.za ). They will give you an application form to complete.

A pity that rock&surf ouens aren't really interrested. I think tagging fish in front of spectators is a good way to promote conservation.

When I am planning on doing my wildcoast trip I would like to do some taging. Also with some of the Garden Route estuaries on the Garrick and Elf.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    When I am planning on doing my wildcoast trip I would like to do some taging. Also with some of the Garden Route estuaries on the Garrick and Elf.

That would be great, Dewald. The most tagging takes place in KZN and the Western Cape. Very little tagging is done along the Wild Coast, so kudos to you!

It will be something ill look into....after all you cant allow other people to tag your fish

conrad,the r&s story is a sad state of affairs....competitive angling doesnt allow for tag and release.I say this mostly for the edible side.My housemate who fishes league however uses a measurement to weight ratio and all fish get returned.They mostly catch sharks tho.I remember my old man did an article for tight lines in the 80's or early 90's called...how does competitive angling affect the egology of the sea.he spoke from experience becos they would kill there sharks etc,take them to weigh in and then not know what to do with them after....very sad.The problem these days is that when you fish for prizes or money,the guys will take chances and lie about there catches....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

ANother benefit to tagging offshore is the potential to win a captain morgan prize on certain species. My mate won it this year for a +-12kg cuda he tagged. He's off on an all expenses paid trip to Kenya in November...
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast