Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod Comparisons @ Ian's Bash

Default Fly Rod Comparisons @ Ian's Bash

Andre and I discussed this briefly.
    Comparing different rods, actions, casting etc.
    Andre asked Phillip at Eikendal, if we could do it there, and Phillip agreed.

We thought a good time might be when Ian will have his fundraising bash at Eikendal.

So this is official.
    Saturday, we will bring a whole range of #6 rods to compare, evaluate and cast.
    Some of the rods available will be
    Sage XP, TCR etc
    TFO's
    Stealth infinity etc
    Hardy
    Explorer etc.
    There will even be a cane rod from Stephen Dugmore.

We will do the "bend test" and plot it on a sheet etc.
    Any #6 you want to bring along, will be great.
    There will be some older fibreglass rods as well, so that you can see how things have changed over the last 30 year or so.

Come and cast these rods, evaluate and give your opinion etc
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Unhappy

No this is what I would like to see unfortunatley i am of to the eastern cape

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    No this is what I would like to see unfortunatley i am of to the eastern cape
    Well, if you leave now you should make it...unless you drive a Landrover of course, then you would have had to have left last week..........

That sounds awesome! Too bad I'll be at Lakies. Oh shoot. On a serious note, we must do this again, maybe with stream rods...
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Great stuff guys, what a superb initiative. I'd be there if I could.

BTW. what is the "bend test"?

Also, it may be interesting to bring along a few #5 and #7 lines and see what overlining and underlining does to some of the rods.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post

Also, it may be interesting to bring along a few #5 and #7 lines and see what overlining and underlining does to some of the rods.
    yes, I have thought of this and will make the arrangments. After the last discussion about overlining rods, I decided to try something, and stuck a 40Puss 7wt shooting head line, on my z Axis and XP 6wt's for a bit of fun. Not the ideal line to overline in a test, I know, but it is the only 7wt i have. Well the result was astounding. The Z axis slowed down only slightly once the head was out the rod, and a full line shot out with ease. I then put the same line on my 10 foot XP 6wt, and could not get the line more than about half way out before collapsing. cant understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post

Yes, bring the lines.
    I think it will be the first time in SA, that so many rods, from so many manufacturers are being tried in spot, at a specific time.
    Will be great fun.
    All that are interested, come and join. Anyone who wants to cast all of these rods, now is your chance. The casting is free of charge, the chatting is free of charge, Phillip and Mark might give coffee also free of charge. (will have to chat to them about it. )
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Yes, bring the lines.
    I think it will be the first time in SA, that so many rods, from so many manufacturers are being tried in spot, at a specific time.
    Will be great fun.
    All that are interested, come and join. Anyone who wants to cast all of these rods, now is your chance. The casting is free of charge, the chatting is free of charge, Phillip and Mark might give coffee also free of charge. (will have to chat to them about it. )
    I will have the vehicle there, with the esspresso machine going in the kitchen

Gaza Banned User

Default Rod testy

Sound like a great idea.
    Would love to be there , but JHB is a bit of a trek...
    Take a camera along , and post some pics for the rest of us.
    Should be interesting.

very cool idea, would love to see, take photies and write report Mr Broos
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast