Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinion - Stealth Travel ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Opinion - Stealth Travel ?

I have found some Stealth Travel rods - 8645/4 and 9056/4 - anyone have an opinion on this range?

I have old rods (8-10 years that I have had them, they are older) : an 8ft Deane 4/5 "Stream" and an 8ft6 Daiwa Osprey 5/6 that are both medium action, that I am looking to update with something that has a bit more backbone (med-fast action) to cast larger flies / team of flies on stillwaters while tubing (yes, I also need a better tube that sits higher......but rod(s) first).

I don't have deep pockets that will allow me a couple of grand for a rod.

Or, to really open Pandora's Box - should I be looking at Elbe?
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Jan,

I've got one of those. My pockets aren't that deep either and I must say that I'm satisfied with it. Considering the fact that I haven't really casted with anything better.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Why do you want a travel rod? .. every join/ferrule affects the action on a rod - and the modern 3 and 4 piece rods are short enough to pack
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Why do you want a travel rod? .. every join/ferrule affects the action on a rod - and the modern 3 and 4 piece rods are short enough to pack
    The series is called "Travel" - they are 4-piece rods.

8645/4 - 8ft6 4/5 weight 4-piece
    9056/4 - 9ft 5/6 weight 4-piece

4 is as many pieces as I will go, am not a fan of the "real" many-piece travel rods - they have been likened to carrying around a bunch of knitting needles.

Would prefer if these were 3-piece....
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Hi Jasper

Travel or not, these are lovely little rods in the 2/3wt.
    Nice gentle action for soft presentations.
    Regards
    Craig

My experience of the Stealth Travel is limited to an 8/9 wt. I found that it broke way too readily. I was perhaps a bit rough, but I have never had another fly rod (high or low end) break three times. I know that I am not the only person to have had this problem with the Travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Penkler View Post
    My experience of the Stealth Travel is limited to an 8/9 wt. I found that it broke way too readily. I was perhaps a bit rough, but I have never had another fly rod (high or low end) break three times. I know that I am not the only person to have had this problem with the Travel.
    Thanks for the comment Gerald - were the breaks perhaps at the ferrules? The Travels have the internal spigot ferrule system...
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Jan - I have a stealth Deep Red, 4 weight 5 piece and it's not a bad travel rod. Pretty compact. Can't comment on the Travel range but if you give Gary a shout I'm sure he can tell you more about them.
    Last edited by Byron; 09-06-09 at 06:54 PM.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Thanks for the comment Gerald - were the breaks perhaps at the ferrules? The Travels have the internal spigot ferrule system...
    Two of the breaks were in the tip section. The final break was the third section (from the base). The latter was due to a high speed clouser.

Whats your budget? May be better to schmooze one of the forum rodbuilders...
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast