Thread: Another shop gone...................

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another shop gone...................

I hear that Fins and Feathers in Lydenburg is closing done.Its never good news to hear thias sort of thing.It did get me wondering however.
    Like the Pro shops,are there shops that would TRADE IN your old stuff if you purchased new goods.I for one would spend a bit more on new stuff if i could get something for the old.It could be beneficial for retailers to think of doing this as one does not always have the money for new stuff either.I remember many moons ago when I worked for Cash Crusaders how the bait anglers would sell their goods in order to buy other stuff on my floor.That was until the economy boomed and most started buying new goods.Now that people are in the squeeze I think it is a good time for retailers to be a bit more (inovative).My2c.

I like this idea - great for everyone

I really think it could work.The retailers must just set reasonable prices for purchases and resale of second hand stock.If a new item is selling at R1000 and the guy brings an item that would resell for say R400 we would usually offer around R250 for his item which we gave as discount for the new item and make our "discount" back on the resale of the second hand.It also leaves some gap for discount on the second hand whch is always good.

Certain online fly fihsing retailers have an upgrade system, whereby you trade in your old goods, but alas, this is only in the States.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

As I said,Golf Pro shops do this very succesfully,so can our industry.

What do you think a fair trade-in value would be for second-hand tackle, as a percentage of the original purchase price? For example, would the "Cash Crusaders Formula" of "Sell for half, buy for a quarter" be acceptable? I guess another thing one should consider are rod warranties. Most warranties are for the original owner only, which detracts a lot from the second-hand value of a fly rod. All the same, I think this is a suggestion worth looking into.