Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for 7 weight outfit

Default Recommendation for 7 weight outfit

I am trying to put a 7 weight outfit together. Would like to know if there is someone who can help me. I have been looking at vision rods etc and reels and line but difficult to make up my mind.
    Would like to use it to catch carp, barbel....
    I am looking at spending R2000 - R3000
    Any help will be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    I am trying to put a 7 weight outfit together. Would like to know if there is someone who can help me. I have been looking at vision rods etc and reels and line but difficult to make up my mind.
    9' 7wt Stealth Bomber
    2 X kilwell genesis LA reels
    1 X cortland fairplay floater
    1 X ariflo intermediate (the faster sinker of the two intermediates - think its 1.5ips)
    Check your knots!

Francois, a 7-weight outfit is bound to take some abuse and before spending your money it'll be wise to talk to some tackle dealers about availability and turnaround time for replacement rod sections. You'll also find that different 7-weights may have very different casting actions. I think this has to do with a 7 being a sort-of multi-purpose line weight and rod manufacturers may build a 7 for one of several applications. For this reason it'll be great if you can cast the rod and get a feel for it before making your final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    9' 7wt Stealth Bomber
    2 X kilwell genesis LA reels
    1 X cortland fairplay floater
    1 X ariflo intermediate (the faster sinker of the two intermediates - think its 1.5ips)
    As above, but rather a 10ft Bomber
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

I use the Predator excel 9wt for targeting catfish and it is a great rod for the money.If they do produce a 7wt I could highly recommend the brand.Barbel and carp fishing in our area is usually muddy/overgrown dirty fishing ,so for me to buy a nice tfo,stealth etc is ot on.I also dont spend to much on expensive reels and rather stcik to good quality lower price stuff for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I use the Predator excel 9wt for targeting catfish and it is a great rod for the money.If they do produce a 7wt I could highly recommend the brand.Barbel and carp fishing in our area is usually muddy/overgrown dirty fishing ,so for me to buy a nice tfo,stealth etc is ot on.I also dont spend to much on expensive reels and rather stcik to good quality lower price stuff for the same reasons.
    Then you can't beat an ELBE.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Then you can't beat an ELBE.
    I started with one of those
    I like the bigger grip on my Predator and the quality is not half bad.I have always wanted a G-loomis rod and promised myself that the day i catch a 40kg catfish i will buy it.Much like a hole in one in golf.When is that gonna happen.(finacially hopefully not to soon).

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    Franscois,

Maybe get hold of the rod builders on this forum and have a custom build done. They will go into your ff history to what suits you best. Not only that, in the long run, locally made by forumers will boost their quality compared to factory built units. My hint would be!! go Mario Geldenhuis or Mike Newby, give them a shout, then you make your choice.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Thank you for all the info, much appreciated.
    I will look into the custom rod building, maybe I should try and build my own with guidance from Mike or so. The rod Mike made the other day looks awesome. It is killing me seeing these monster carp in the farm dam nearby and I am bit worried using my 5 weight.

What about your 8wt?
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast