Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Are we missing out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Now they are talking about a "controlled trout hatchery" been built at Sterkfontein.
    Sterkfontein used to be quite a good place to catch trophy trout if I'm not mistaken. Apparently there are still some trout there as well. That is what I have heard at least. Can someone shed some more light on this?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

afaik Free State Nature Conservation used to stock sterkies with trout in the 80's ... doubt there will be any left now though?

re the bass in sterkies, i saw in one of the bass mags that there was even a bass competition at sterkies last season!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Sterkfontein used to be quite a good place to catch trophy trout if I'm not mistaken. Apparently there are still some trout there as well. That is what I have heard at least. Can someone shed some more light on this?
    In the year 2000, there were still quite a few. Nowadays, I think they are all gone...we've never come accross them. You hear about the odd one being caught, but that's it. Never real trophies though...the real big fish were caught in Swartwater Dam, not Sterkies.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-09-10 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    afaik Free State Nature Conservation used to stock sterkies with trout in the 80's ... doubt there will be any left now though?

re the bass in sterkies, i saw in one of the bass mags that there was even a bass competition at sterkies last season!
    I know...frikkin ridiculous. Their numbers are increasing there...reason for concern. I know someone caught a 4.5kg LM Bass off the pier at Qwantani, some years back. The dam's cold...so their growth is not as fast as in warm water systems, but still faster than yellowfish's growth.

Thanks guys - clears up my question.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Very nice ... this past weekend I got an odd bass ... was the shape of a smallie ... the eyes of a smallie ... the mouth of a smallie but the rest of it was largemouth.

Very odd, fought quite well for it's size (1.4kgs)

Sounds like a brindle bass.

Quite frequently LM and SM can have a simmilar apperance, the best way to tell them apart though is the scale structure on the cheeks.

As far as I know we have two strains of LM in SA, the florida strain are the faster growing LM's that atypically attain the greatest mass. I believe that we then have the SM and Brindles bringing up the rear.
    If my recollection is correct then the brindles are very much like a cross between the two, but without the fire of the smallies.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Thanks for the info Mark and the rest.

Eish ... Florida Bass ... Brindle Bass ... Spotted Yellow Pooper Bass ... all I know is they are fun to catch when nothing else is worth pursuing and they make for good eating
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    To be honest i am not sure which strains we get in SA, but the spotted bas in the western cape normally get about the same size as the smallies, maybe a little smaller. They look like a largie bit has the build and mouth of a smallie, the only true way to tell them from the other is that the spotted bass has teeth on its tonque. and not many people look for that.

They are also quite scarce, and I am not sure where else they where stocked other than the WC, and here they can be found mainly in the olifants system, but they are also few and far inbetween
    http://www.fishinginfo.co.za/spotted-bass.html

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post

Last one I saw was 2 years ago, caught on mielie pips at Qwantani.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9