Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bass at Lakenvlei

Default bass.

Greetings all I am new to the forum .Had to reply re. bass in Larkenvlei ,I think the answer lies in the dams before Larkenvlei we fished the Kosta farm dams in the eighties lot of bass in those dams .The older cps menbers like Tim Rolston will remember it.Best wishes to all on the forum and my many fly fishing friends made over all the years .

and there comes the spanner
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Kobus Kriel also caught me once with the same story
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Look, let's not scoff at this hey, I did a little research and in fact, there is record of bass in lakensvlei. It goes back years. In one of the old piscator's, we talking the 50's here there is an article about the planned eradication of the bass which were aparerently originally put in by one of the farmers sons, who was a keen bass angler. It was realised that excessive stocking of trout, would put pressure on the bass population, and cause a natural erradication. that farmer has subsequently sold the farm, and it was his successor, and the then newly appointed Hex Water Board, that decided to use the venue as a trout venue. There is little detail about how they got rid of the bass in those days, but is is suspected that the newly stocked trout simply overcame them by attrition over a few years, and several stockings. In 1984, under the Chairmanship of Mr. ***ley, the CPS acquired larkies as a club water, and as recently as 1987, the last recorded catch of a bass was made.

Interesting. I have fished lakensvlei for 15 years and have never hooked a bass, despite fishing in and around structure with large flies in spring and early summer. But, you never know?
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

I have had the privilege of stocking and fishing a private virgin dam in the Kouebokkeveld for the past 15 years and I was absolutely shocked to find the hugest bass head that I have ever seen one day when the dam reached its lowest level. I have yet to catch a bass in the dam.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mills View Post
    Interesting. I have fished lakensvlei for 15 years and have never hooked a bass, despite fishing in and around structure with large flies in spring and early summer. But, you never know?
    I doubt that there are any, and if there ever were, they are gone.

I guess the bass are back with a vengeance.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Yes they certainly are back. Especially at this time of year with warm water.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    I guess the bass are back with a vengeance.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Really? Are the guys catching decent size ones?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast