Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Bass at Lakenvlei

i understand that exposing the sides of the dam would be more successful but perhaps a more fun idea would if the cps or other organisations could arrange fishing competitions to remove the bigger bass so the smaller bass would be more vulnerable to the trout. Just as a way of restricting the bass till the trout have recoverd.
    maybe even in Dec/Jan time of year allow people to spin for bass

Quote Originally Posted by cameronlochner View Post
    i understand that exposing the sides of the dam would be more successful but perhaps a more fun idea would if the cps or other organisations could arrange fishing competitions to remove the bigger bass so the smaller bass would be more vulnerable to the trout. Just as a way of restricting the bass till the trout have recoverd.
    maybe even in Dec/Jan time of year allow people to spin for bass
    My 2c and it might be a bit radical for some.
    Lakensvlei will drop probably to the lowest level in 15 or 20 years this coming summer.
    Lakensvlei dam works in combination with RoodeElsburg dam.
    See the levels of the dams
    http://www.dwa.gov.za/Hydrology/Week...aspx?region=WC
    Roodeelsberg is 39% full.
    As the summer approaches, the farmers in the Hex River valley will draw more water compared to other years, as a lot of dams in the Hexriver valley did not fill up this past winter.
    More water will be used from Lakensvlei en Roode Els Burg Dam.
    Normally the most water is kept in Lakensvlei and then drained to Roode Els Burg Dam.
    At the end of the summer, drain Lakensvlei completely or as much as possible and keep the water in Roode Els Burg Dam
    With the little water that is left, try and catch the trout and what is left, Rotenone Lakensvlei dam.
    Kill all the bass and the trout that is left and start afresh with stocking Lakensvlei. The stocking process will take 3 to 5 years to build up, as you first have to establish the food chain and then start to stock the fish.

As I said, a bit radical, but if we do not act, Lakensvlei is stuffed for future trout fishing.
    I had a chat to one of the Bass guru's and he said the bass will multiply and Lakensvlei will become a premier bass fishing dam, as there are no carp or barbel that might influence the bass population as in the Breede River and Theewaterskloof dam
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5