Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass at Lakenvlei

Hybrid View

Default Bass at Lakenvlei

Chaps! New to the forum...but been flyfishing for a lifetime. Hope to share and learn.

a Question if I may...I recently took a trip to Lakenvlei in the Cape, and we caught some really nice bass, up to 2.5kg.
    Anyone else have info on where the really big boys lurk around there? And tackle tactics, flies, and so on.
    We did get trout too...but were going specifically for the bass.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMaster View Post
    Chaps! New to the forum...but been flyfishing for a lifetime. Hope to share and learn.

a Question if I may...I recently took a trip to Lakenvlei in the Cape, and we caught some really nice bass, up to 2.5kg.
    Anyone else have info on where the really big boys lurk around there? And tackle tactics, flies, and so on.
    We did get trout too...but were going specifically for the bass.
    You must have the wrong dam. lakensvlei in the Cape does not have any bass. rainbow and brown trout only. If you caught a bass at larkies, you will be the first person in living memory to have ever done this.

Its close to Ceres...near De Eiken Boerdery. Theres only one Lakenvlei dam there, surely? We fish it whenever we are in CT, & had some inside info from a bassing guy that there were decent bass in the dam lately.
    We caught some nice ones, had to identify the holding spots but we got 'em.
    Mostly on subsurface baitfish patterns...baby rainbow imitations, deceivers & so forth. Just wondering if anyone else is targeting them and what tactics and patterns work for them.
    There can only be one.

Its close to Ceres...near De Eiken Boerdery. Theres only one Lakenvlei dam there, surely? We fish it whenever we are in CT, & had some inside info from a bassing guy that there were decent bass in the dam lately.
    Mostly on subsurface baitfish patterns...baby rainbow imitations, deceivers & so forth. Just wondering if anyone else is targeting them and what tactics and patterns work for them.
    I like to catch the newly stocked Browns and use them as live bait, "On dad" is guaranteed
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Give me some more detail on where it isas I don't know De Eiken Boerdery.
    Yes there is only one Lakensvlei in Ceres, but it aint got no bass...sorry.
    You are definatly talking about some other dam....I hope

Any fly fisher who wears a hat like Flymaster should surely never be taken seriously!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Any fly fisher who wears a hat like Flymaster should surely never be taken seriously!
    Especially if the fish he catches wear matching necklaces
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

As per Sean's post, bass (particularly small bass) are not the kind of fish that "hide" in a dam. If they were there 10 years ago we would have caught them. They have been stocked (probably by local farmers) within the last 5 years or so. You will never be able to fish them out - no matter how many you catch they are here to stay unless you rotenone the entire dam. As for the fingerlings at the inlet, the ones I saw and netted were trout and were too small to have been stocked. Saw some a couple of years ago between the rocks to the right of the hut - also netted and confirmed as trout. I made the comment at the AGM that we need to stock with larger fish otherwise we are just providing them with fish food. Need bass proof size like we used to stock at Koekedouw. Part of the reason for smaller rainbows in the last couple of years is probably from bass competing for limited food in the chain - although the big Browns seem to be thriving.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

9. Default

Always extremely bad news when bass get into a trout dam...I remember Lakensvlei when I was young and often fished it with Tom Burgers between 1978-1979...it was a producer of good fish then and seldom fished...never saw bass. We have this problem in Natal...some ex- good trout dams under the NFFC have been invaded.

Andrew Fowler maintains that the best way to this problem is to drain these dams (partly) in spring through to summer after the bass have spawned and the exposed eggs will die obviously...these are always in the shallow edges and never in the deep portions which are left. It makes sense and Andrew has done this on one dam in the Boston area...I don't know how successful it's been...I'll have to ask him...but it seems logical that it must work if done correctly and at the right time and it should be repeated every year until the trout actually can compete...and if a dam has a "run in " feeder stream where trout can reproduce so much the better.

Maybe if the results are good then if it's possible on Lakenvlei it can be tried.
    Last edited by A River Runs Through It; 27-10-17 at 07:23 PM.

i understand that exposing the sides of the dam would be more successful but perhaps a more fun idea would if the cps or other organisations could arrange fishing competitions to remove the bigger bass so the smaller bass would be more vulnerable to the trout. Just as a way of restricting the bass till the trout have recoverd.
    maybe even in Dec/Jan time of year allow people to spin for bass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast