Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First salty fly attempt

Default First salty fly attempt

Guy's......do think this will work in the salt???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Ja, that'll work. Not bad for your first attempt either! I would personally use a long shank hook, but well done!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

should do the trick.tie sum with less flash aswell.that much flash might put the fish off...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Sweet....had enough of yellow flies for now. My Vaal boxes are full. Looking at getting a salty box started. So you say a bit to much flash.......hell I thought the more flash the better in the salt???

Well everyone started somewhere. I have never tied a yellowfish fly in my life so there I hope you can give me pointers some time. The idea is right...but...it depends on where you are going to fish and what you are going to target.

If you are fishing estuaries then you are not gonna have much luck with that fly, maybe some baby fish will eat it but no big boys, they are to picky. There you will have to go with more subtle flash as the fish are normally olive to brown with hardly any flash, this due to the water being more murky, just look at the mullet in the shallows, they hardly flash when the swim around.

Here is a pic of a mullet and a clouser and of a baby shad and a Flashy profile fly, look at their coloring.

When you fish the surf or in very clear water then I would use more flash as something without flash will dissapear in the bright light and bubbles from the waves. This works very well where you have a break in the light filtering into the water, in other words when there is big foam patches or weed patched floating around that casts shadows in the water.

Materials I would recomend to start with is bucktail and Steve Fharar blend, these are easy to work with and you can do ALLOT of paterns with them.

Hope that I could help.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Lekker Colin,

That fly will catch somethign ... not sure what though

To augment what Deewy has said, from my experience, start tying clousers (all the variations, olive white, chartreuse white, pink white, blue white, less flash, more flash) then Charlies (again all the colours of the rainbow, silver, red, pink, brown)

Once you're done and confident with those, try tying some Sempers and thereafter move on to SF Fibre and other synthetics like deadly dazzle and get into building the 'profile' types of flies. Also get hold of Bob Popovic's book, it's a great handbook and will give you a lot of ideas, it even touches on silicone flies.

Point is you can catch almost anything on a clouser, so they're always good to have around, same thing with Charlies. So if you want to start a box not only for te sake of tying something different, but to be able to use them eventually when you do get to the ocean, then that's the way I'd go.

Also the materials required for Clousers and Charlies won't cost you an arm and a leg, unlike some of the other flies you end up tying when you become truly SW bef@k like some of us.

EDIT : I also meant to add, that the skills you lern tying clousers & charlies will enable you to tie basically anything else you can shake your bobbin at.

HTH, enjoy it, tying these big flies will bugger you up for the rest of your life, even moreso when you eventually catch something SW based. Freshwater ? Who needs it !

ps : Clousers, one good hook choice (because of price) is the Gamakatsu B10S "Stinger" or my new favourite is the Mustad CLNsomethingsomething "Stinger" they're better than the Gamakatsu in my opinion (and the price is also right, get them at Adventure Fly Fishing in Newlands, ask Adrian about the Mustad stingers.)
    Last edited by Scythe; 21-07-09 at 10:46 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Default Mustad BLN

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Mustad CLN somethingsomething "Stinger" they're better than the Gamakatsu in my opinion (and the price is also right, get them at Adventure Fly Fishing in Newlands, ask Adrian about the Mustad stingers.)
    Ja very similar except the Mustad has a slightly longer shank but smaller gape.There is a colour difference but I seriously doubt it will hinder you in any way.

See pic to compare. Mustad C52 above and Gamakatsu B10S below both #4

P1070081 (Medium).JPG
    Gerrit Viljoen

Fishing Adventures Banned User

Looks good, the flash will work well in low light conditions like early morning and early evening.

The flash is also good for ultra fast double hand retreives.

Sometimes a lot of flash works well, sometimes not so do not be put off.

Sudesh Persad invented the night time glassy which is purely flash.

Blog Entries

No - try some rice grains, it will stop it from clogging.

Ok cool....I'll play along with what you guy's have said. Thanks! Like I said, I'm still a bit dumb when it comes to salty flies.....so stick with me, I'll get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast