Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NFCC Members

anytime you want. no problem. i will keep on posting here when i am going up and where.
    not too far for me, so i usually just do daytrips up.
    catch and release

Awesome stuff guys. Will be good to get together with some guys from the forum.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

just some feedback on mavela on sunday.

up early on sunday, and on seeing the weather in durban, nearly got back into bed. decided to give it a bash anyway. just the other side of hilton, got above the clouds, and was met with glorious sunshine. decision vindicated!

got to the dam and with only a gentle breeze was chomping at the bit to get on the water. kitted up, and after a quick cup of coffee to ward of the cold, was on the water.051.jpg

started with a red eyed damsel fished behind a copper john on a floater with a 12 foot leader. very slow retrieve and 15 min later bam! first rainbow of around 14inches.
    052.jpg

missed another two casts later, and then got another a few minutes after that.
    as it was my first time on this water, i decided to move around a bit.
    went over to the shallower water on the northen side of the dam.saw a huge fish boil a few times, but could not entice him to take anything.
    at this stage an ice cold easterly picked up and i decided to move closer to the launch area.
    the fish went completely of the boil for the next two hours, and all activity i saw earlier dissappeared.
    tried a few different options but nothing worked.
    053.jpg

eventually got one on a black booby fished behind a papa roach on a fast retrieve.
    my last hour on the hour on the dam felt like open season.
    i managed 3 more fish and lost or missed 6 more.
    the fish were really aggressive and very lively, and a few of them treated me to a amazing aerial display, with one fishing clearing the water 6 times!
    059.jpg

after nearly 5 hours of submerging my legs in 6 deg water, decided to call it a day.
    although no trophy fish, it was still a great way to spend the day.

just out of interest, the last two fish were kept for supper, and i always inspect the stomach content when i clean fish.
    the one fish was choked on bloodworm, with nothing else.
    the other fish had a stomach full of bright green pupae, some of them only half emerged from their brown shell, and not one bloodworm, yet they were caught in the same area, on the same fly, minutes from each other.

im sure someone here will put a name to the green pupae.
    catch and release

Awesome feedback. Glad you had a good day. Haven't fished Mavela in a few years so keen to get back. The water was lost by the NFFC for a while so missed a few years of stocking. As such I don't know how many lunkers are in there, but there should be a good supply of stockies
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

fishing Mavela again on sunday 11 aug.
    space for one + float tube.
    catch and release

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    fishing Mavela again on sunday 11 aug.
    space for one + float tube.
    Hahaha, another near miss. Up in Underberg this weekend fishing their club's waters. Guess we'll compare notes when I get back. Next time Don't stop asking. And enjoy.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

no problem. good luck that side.
    whole dam to myself, whats not to enjoy
    catch and release

With the horrible weather we experienced on Friday, and to a lesser extent on sat, I was very glad that I booked Mavela for Sunday. For once the long range weather forecast got it spot on, and I was greeted with lovely sunshine on Sunday morning when I arrived at the water.IMG-20130813-WA006.jpg

There was however a definite chill in the air to remind me that the area must have had some very cold weather the previous two days. That always has an effect on the fish, and I expected to have to have my work cut out for me.

Two thermal layers and a neoprene wader later, and looking very much like the Michelin man; I launched the tube into some VERY chilly water. I had some success two weeks ago at the same venue, so I opted for the same tactics in the same area, but the fish had other ideas. On the previous visit, the fish were all in the corner where the wind was blowing into. After two hours of fruitless searching, I paddled over to the lee side of the dam. It is a bit shallower with some weed beds, but still no visible activity. I decided to stick to basically the same patterns but to slow my retrieve a bit from the previous visit.

Third cast and wham! Success! A beautiful rainbow hen of 17 inches.
    IMG-20130813-WA004.jpg

In the next hour and I bit I managed two more stockies of about 14 inches. I lost and missed quite a few fish in-between, as they seemed as if they were not grabbing the fly properly.
    IMG-20130813-WA005.jpg

I fish with two rods on the tube, one sinking and one floating. Up to now all the fish came out on the sinking line. Recently I won a lovely horizon 3 weight fly rod in a magazine competition (yes, it does happen. I was just as surprised!). I was dying to put it through its paces, so I put the sinking line one side and concentrated on the 3 weight floater. Changing tactics a bit, I opted for a size 14 copper john to sink it a bit, and tied a small red eyed damsel about 40cm behind it. About 20 min later, fishing it slowly over the weed beds, something sipped it in gently. On setting the hook, it took of like a steam train and took me strait into my backing.
    Fishing with 4lb flouro tippet, I didn’t want to put too much pressure, so I let him run. in the next 15 minutes, he took me into my backing three times. What a feeling to play a decent fish on such a small rod. Eventually I netted a lovely 22inch rainbow cock fish, firmly hooked on the copper john. After a quick photo or two, I sent him back to grow a bit more. Hopefully he will remember the kindness and come and visit me next year, a kilo or so heavier!
    IMG-20130813-WA001.jpg

I apologise for the quality of the photos, as I am on my own. I also try to do it as quickly as possible to facilitate a more successful release.
    All fish were released.
    catch and release

Well done Paul. Some nice fish there, and I'm glad to see Mavela is fishing well after it's break.

I fished Underberg over the weekend and had some great fishing. On Friday we fished from 2pm to 5pm in the rain. I managed to pick up 5 fish with the biggest being 2kgs. My mate, fishing off the same boat as me, picked up 3 fish also in the 2kg range.

On Saturday we fished the clubs trophy dam and got 8 fish between us in a morning session. Again the biggest was just over 2kgs with the average fish being 1.5kg.

Then finally on Sunday we had a short morning session of 2 hours before heading home. In that period we picked up 4 fish but they were unfortunately all stockies of around 750g.

All in all a great weekend. I'll post a couple of photos when I get a chance.

Cheers,
    Warren
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

wow, thats some nice fish for a weekend. just glad i didnt fish on friday. cold i can take, but rain AND cold, i stay away.
    must make a plan to visit that area at some time.
    catch and release

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast