Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The One that got away

Default The One that got away

I was meaning to post this earlier, but no time!

I thought the thread “The one that got away” would be appropriate for this post.

Please understand that unfortunately I cannot give more specific info as I do not want to interfere or jeopardize the course of justice in the case – if there is any left in SA. As per normal, this story from a top tourist destination, did not even make the news.

How much time do you spend thinking about a plan to get you out of a sticky situation when that situation finds you one day? A couple of weeks ago I had a call from mate of mine to go fish one of the KZN coastal parks for the day. Unfortunately work interfered in my fishing that day and I could not make the trip, but he decided to go as we often fish the area alone. I called him later that evening to hear how his day was, but no luck getting hold of him on his cell. Only much later did I get hold of him, as I was about to leave on a search mission. He phoned me from a borrowed phone as he had to spend the night up north to give more statements in the morning.

This is what happened: As he started fishing early in the morning, there was only one group of conventional fisherman and two ‘subsistence types’ near them. He presumed that they were these guys’ gillies and proceeded to walk south where we normally fish the ledges. A couple of hours later he returned to get something from his car. By this time the other fisherman had left. When he got back onto the beach the two other fellows were right there, scratching in the rocks. As he came past they greeted him friendly- and this caused him to let down his guard. In hindsight these guys followed him up the beach for about 5km’s, probably looking him over.

He walked south again to fish the pushing tide. An hour or so later as he changed flies, these guys somehow managed to get in under his guard. As they stepped up to him, one guy asked him for his fishing permit as they were from the Parks board. With the expected F – OFF reply one stepped forward and swung a khukuri (believe it or not, the genuine Ghurka version) at him. Thank ***, some quick reflexes and some discussion we had about possible incidents like this saved his live.

He simply bailed over the ledge into the Zululand surf. With both guys above him hurling abuse and at least one knife at him, they demanded his bag or they will kill him. He managed to get his Simms waterproof backpack off, opened it, found his Glock and let off two shots, while treading water, at his assailants.

At this they disappeared form sight; he managed to get out via a gully and went looking for the guys – mad as a snake by now. Needless to say, no trace.

When he got hold of the Parks Board a little later, they brought the Anti-Poaching trackers and found one of the guys - left by his mate with a .40 slug in his leg. The attached pic shows one of the knives found by the trackers in a pool the next morning. They had a whole collection of knives, but that is also another story and part of the case against them.

Pity these things happen, but great if you live to tell that tale and have at least been prepared to deal with the situation as best as possible. So make sure you have a plan, a flotation device, and whatever else you feel can save your life.

Last edited by HolyGT; 23-07-09 at 09:06 PM.

That's just f#$^ up!
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Seems we will have to do F*&%^%T^ Risk Assesments before we go fishing as well

What is a "khukuri" ?

What a f-up!!! Makes me mad as hell reading this.
    I know everything is always in hindsight...but he should have said "okay cool, come get the bag..."
    Then as they got close and could not run away as easily...popped both of them and dumped them in the ocean.
    End of story...no need for reports, nothing.

Bastard$!

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    That's just f#$^ up!
    Moes jy nie al in Pearth gewees het nie

That is a terrible story, and I have often wondered about what you would do in such a situation, especialy when I have a client with me. I think two way radios could become a standard fishing feature soon.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Most times we do not fish alone, that's number one...and we have two-way walkie talkies. I also carry pepper-spray, and a knife. (No gun...if I do, I WILL shoot someone...)
    I'm considering a Tazer...shock the f(*^#(*&%# to near death.
    I suppose we can only do so much, be aware, and if we fish remote area's maybe employ a local or two to walk with you. They will happily "protect" you for R 100.00 a day.
    I dunno...it's frikkin sad really!!!!

We fish for the love of nature and the outdoors, but this pisses me of big time. There is nothing as bad as having to enjoy your sport, whilst looking over your shoulder the whole time.

No ways I will stop fishing alone, it just means being mentally and physically more prepared. But I like the feeding the fishies idea

OOOOOOO

Boils my blood!

Anyways, i hope we start hearing less of this, rather then more! I think a tazer is not a bad idea, but then when there are more then one of the !"£$%^*'s it is still best to chillout and co-operate. . .
    Last edited by JamesW; 23-07-09 at 10:38 PM. Reason: rude words
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Terrible business.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    What is a "khukuri" ?
    If my brittle memory serves me correctly its the knife used by the Gurkhas, Royal Infantry regiment. The knife in the pic?
    Last edited by rory; 24-07-09 at 08:26 AM.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Thank the good Lord that you guys had discussed something like this and that your mate had the relexes and the mindset to act as he did, failing which HE would have been the one thrown into the sea - no police reports nothing...
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast