Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TFO Flyrods - explaining the range

The 6wt Jim Teeny is a fantastic rod
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

I use Ticrx 9# 9ft as an estaury - inshore rod. All the comments about the rod are true. It is really a great stick for casting; it is fast, cast out a full line easily; in the wind I can still get out heavy flies and one can put pressure easily on a fish. I matched it up with the Jim Teeny professional series intermediate and sinking lines. The two go really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Troep View Post

Guys, the Axiom is the absolute best thing ever!!
    Couldn't agree more. A beauty in every way

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Gary Loomis (from G. Loomis) will be designing a few spinning and casting rods (for bass) for TFO yes,...but not fly rods.
    I interprete the article slightly different;

"Gary is fully committed to helping us grow participation in fishing. He believes that the Affordable – High Performance approach we have used so successfully in fly fishing combined with our commitment to customer service forms a great base for growth. He wants to advance performance of our rods and he certainly has the know-how to do so."

Anyway,just commenting on what I've read

Ag ou Gertjie, let it not bother you ... the nit pickers will always find some nit to pick over.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Thanks for the comments, very useful. A couple of questions.

Is the general concensus that the Teeny is slower that the Professional? I didn't think the Teeny was too slow when I cast it, but hard to remember now. I wouldn't mind trying the 2 side-by-side.

Out of the TiCr, TiCr-X and the Axiom, which is the best saltwater rod? Toughness, backbone-in-the-butt and fittings probably being the criteria.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Tough one, I have both ... love them both, both are immensely awesome rods (outmatched only in the really heavy stuff 12WT and so forth by the Loomis GLX) in reality I'd probably say the Axiom because the price difference is negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Tough one, I have both ... love them both, both are immensely awesome rods (outmatched only in the really heavy stuff 12WT and so forth by the Loomis GLX) in reality I'd probably say the Axiom because the price difference is negligible.
    Wait till GaryL make some changes ~ Axiam GLX TFO is going to the
    very very top in no time!!

For the quality of the product, the price, the after sales support service and the variety of toys to choose from, they're already there ... can only get better

Not nit-picking Gerrit...but it's only a new line of spinning and casting rods (bass) that Gary Loomis will help TFO on.
    Maybe in the future he will help on fly-rods, who knows...but like you said, I just read it like it's written in the press releases.
    I would imagine that IF TFO want Gary L's knowledge on fly rod design...it will cost them BIG-TIME.

See here: http://www.midcurrent.com/news/2009/...ork-for-t.html

Gary Loomis Goes to Work For Temple Fork Outfitters

By Marshall Cutchin on July 13, 2009 8:02 AM

Temple Fork Outfitters announced Friday that Gary Loomis, founder of G.Loomis, will be designing a new line of affordable spinning and casting rods for them. Loomis won't be designing fly rods (yet), but TFO seems to now have a natural entry into much larger sector of the fishing market: "We've started production of 28 one and two piece rods in both spinning and casting configurations in 6', 6 ½' and 7' lengths. They will feature single foot guides with gold SIC inserts, skeletonized lower grips and fast/progressive actions. Retail pricing will be $99.95 and availability is expected in early September."

Click on the above link for the full story...

PS: Gary Loomis has started a new rod blank company...I'm VERY keen to see some of the blanks they are going to be rolling out. Will be launched after the iCast fishing trade show in USA, which just finished.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-08-09 at 07:30 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast