Thread: Dave Lewis dies of cancer

Default Dave Lewis dies of cancer

Just got the sad news...Dave Lewis, of Performance Fly Rods...died on Aug. 5th. of pancreatic cancer.

It's a sad sad loss to the rod building world...Dave Lewis's rods were immaculate. He also shared his knowledge freely...as I discovered over the last four years while speaking to him over the internet. I picked his brains as much as I could, and I certainly am a better rod builder for it. It's really sad I never got to meet him in person. My thoughts go out to his wife Mary-Lou, and the rest of his family.

Go well Sir Dave! I certainly will miss your insights and inspiration.

Mike

Dave doing what he loved most...create custom fly rods.

PS: read a news article here: http://www.newsleader.com/article/20...David+N.+Lewis
    Some really great words by his wife.
    Last edited by Michael; 10-08-09 at 05:56 PM.

I remember the first time I ever visited his website, and I was amazed and inspired at the beauty and impeccable workmanship of his rods. They were perfect in every way. I remember saying to Mario that even though I too build my own, one day I'd love to own one built by him, simply because it was built by him and would be a treasure for any fly fisher to own.

Rest in peace Dave Lewis. A true gentleman of the art.

Some of the saddest news to hear. I remember way back when 1st reading the emotion in his words when he wrote about Oscar. I feel similar emotions now.

Dave, I hope you now get to fish for Oscar again!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hell, you know what.....I did not know Dave, but we also had a bit of bad news this weekend and it sure hurts like hell and I wish the family only the best. Take those best memories....just take them.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]