Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best thread for Bass Bugs

Default Best thread for Bass Bugs

What do u guys reckon is the best thread or floss to use when spinning or stacking Deer hair and why?

Thanks

I attended a tying session once that was hosted by Paul (i dont know his surname) who ties all of frontier's speciality yellow fish flies.
    On that day he tied a water dog and he used wax free dental floss. He said you have to use a strong bobbin though since you will break the tip of the bobben of the ceramic type. You can really bull hard on this to make the hair spin propperly and you dont cut through the dear hear either.

Shot Sptephan,

Where do I buy that? Pick 'n Pay?Can't say I'm a flosser...

Ja, definately unwaxed dental floss because it's super strong. You should be able to get it at any Pick n Pay, pharmacy ect
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

I know I have seen some at discem

I have seen Paul Fevrier tie with unwaxed dental floss frequently. His bugs are insane. Compact as cork or foam. Thats why I use foam poppers.

I have sat for a session with Andrew Mayo (ex Laxtons), also known as a deer-hair 'pro'...

After many experimentation he swears by Flat Waxed, 210 Denier.

I adopted this method and it works for me; but can't say that I have tried dental floss for fly-tying

G: I will have to think twice before kissing you open-mouth again Ai, ek LANG weer na een van ons ontmoetings onder die volmaan!

Ja I think at the end of the day one needs to try all the "go to" methods and decide which one u prefer.

I have the 210 denier stuff but too much pressure and u have a break off.Go easy on the tension and u don't have a compact head even after packing the hair.

Busy ordering some UTC stuff so I'll see I guess.

I have to say I have also never seen deer hair as compact as Paul gets it. It almost looks like a foam head which he has coloured in with a marker of some sorts...

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    What do u guys reckon is the best thread or floss to use when spinning or stacking Deer hair and why?

Thanks
    I was not happy with my stacking using the dental floss and spoke to Murray Pedder who put me onto the 210 Denier. Did the first one last night and there is definetly an improvement. Of course I then fu$%ed up the final trimming.
    I am not scared of dying, I just don't want to - Robbie Williams

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast