Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Drakensberg venue

Default Ultimate Drakensberg venue

In early Novemebr, I will be in Natal for my Step dad's 80th birthday party.
    I want to spend a few days with Tania at the "ultimate" Drakenberg trout river venue. It doesn't have to be in the Berg, the Midlands will do.

This is what we are looking for:-
    Upmarket resort hotel with spa.
    Awesome fishing river nearby, accessable with hired sedan.
    Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I want to spend a few days with Tania at the "ultimate" Drakenberg trout river venue. It doesn't have to be in the Berg, the Midlands will do.

Any suggestions?
    Unfortunetely..."Upmarket Resort Hotel with Spa" and "Awesome fishing river" cannot go in the same sentence.
    You can have either, but not both........

Well, I may be wrong...but in my experience you have to either hike to the more pristine rivers, or really rough it.
    Or, have 5 star luxury with "good" fishing only.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

Any suggestions?
    Contact my mate, Leon Vermeulen, in Nottingham Road. www.wildbrowns.co.za He has access to all the best water. Shaun F can also help. Notties Hotel for perfect 1 star accommodation.

Hey Bru,

I called my Fiance's mom who lives in underberg.

She says that Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse in the Kamberg is stunning but no spa and it is on the Little Mooi, very high up which will be good for november as the rains might well have made the lower sections quite unfishable. They say that the food at this place is brilliant - looks like a very girly place so the missus could well approve.

When I was up there for the Kamberg Trout festival in may, we stayed very close to this place and I had a good long look at the river which is beautiful (This was may though, not october), and did see a couple of trout.

Have a look at their website:

http://www.cleomountain.com/

When you're ready to book the ultimate drakensberg venue, take a look at the rates and you will see why it is the ultimate!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Or maybe Andre
    You should try the following strategy.
    Take no fly rods and say to Mommy, this is our time.
    I am not taking anything along, just you and me.
    I am sacrificing all of this just for our happiness.
    Take her for facials, long walks, pick a wild flower or 2 etc.

You will have enough brownie points in reserve for the next 20 years.

Not sure if you will be able to handle the thought of having some good brown trout on your doorstep without a cast at them. You might end up giving yourself over to a case of Millers. Then all of your Brownie points will be out of the door as well.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Or maybe Andre
    You should try the following strategy.
    Take no fly rods and say to Mommy, this is our time.
    I am not taking anything along, just you and me.
    I am sacrificing all of this just for our happiness.
    Take her for facials, long walks, pick a wild flower or 2 etc.

You will have enough brownie points in reserve for the next 20 years.

Not sure if you will be able to handle the thought of having some good brown trout on your doorstep without a cast at them. You might end up giving yourself over to a case of Millers. Then all of your Brownie points will be out of the door as well.
    Korrie, I worry about you sometimes.

I'm not sure you're going to find awesome fishing and awesome accomodation all in one venue. I'd tend to pick your accomodation first, and provided you're in the Dargle/Notties/Mooi River area, you've got pretty good fishing all around you within around 30mins drive.

Besides for those venues mentioned, Hartford House is exceptional as far as accomodation is concerned.

As far as fishing goes, I reckon the Troutbagger farm will be just up your alley.

Ok, I have just returned from what I think might just be the ultimate Drakensberg venue. No spa, no resort, just a rustic fishing cottage, on a magnificent brown trout stream.
    I spent a good few hours a day, both morning and evening, prospecting for these beutifull fish. Managed to get a truck load. The first afternood, I only fished for two hours, and managed 12 fish. It was pretty much like that for the whole weekend.
    The river was running ever so slightly high, and marginally off colour, so perhaps this is what made the fishing reitively easy, but hey, who cares? You go a long way to fish a new river, so perhaps some easy fishing is not a bad thing. Most of the fish were in the 12 to 15 inch range. I saw a few real lunkers, but couldn't get them.
    Also managed to squeeze in a hike with the missus, so we trekked up to the caves in Giants Castle to check out the rock paintings.
    This is a place I definatly will be visiting again.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

You must have thought you were in heaven.....no trees and dense bush to have to barge through to get to the water. Sounds like it was a ball. Definitely looks amazing
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

What's the places name Andre?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast