Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: An idea for a swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Johan, Your direction of thinking I like. My thoughts were to make the swap as cheap and easy, yet as innovative as possible. There are quite a few forummers who don't have access to Fly shops, but nearly every Dorp has a sewing shop or haberdashery.
    How about, only "normal" material allowed from a fishing shop is the hook. Maximum no. of materials ( excluding the hook ) = 5. One would have to wax your sewing thread with whatever if you wished to, to dub your favourite cat's fur, etc.

A thought which I will probably persue on my own regardless. My wife's Pekingnese better stay away from my scissors, their tail fur will make brilliant streamer tails.
    I like that idea, my cat's fur is great for GRHEs . . .
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Herman it is a nice idea but not really what I had in mind, no offence! I just wanted to see how creative the guys can get with marerials. I will remember your idea and give it a change next time, if it is okay with you?

At this stage I would first have to check what the forums regulations are for starting a fly swap before I would start with it
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

I think it's a great idea. Using 3-5 easy to get materials goes to what fly tying is all about - substitution leads to inspiration!

Other day I noticed my friend's Siberian Husky was moulting, all that lovely soft underfur was dropping off. Couldn't resist, "plucked" the dog and now I have bag of seriously good dubbing, good on it's own or blended! So keep your eye out for huskies, a good, sustainable resource.

I'm in!

Paul
    Last edited by Sage; 08-09-09 at 12:27 PM.
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2