Thread: Red Eye Damsel SBS

Default Red Eye Damsel SBS

Had a bit of success with this fly the last while

Hook: Size 14 2x long
    Eyes: Burned mono filament and red UV fly paint
    Tail: Rabbit zonker fibers
    Body: Stretchy nymph rib
    Thorax: Olive/green seals dubbing.

Place hook in vice and tie in Mono filament with figure of eight wraps. Make sure both sides are the same length.The longer the sections the bigger the eyes. These are 1.5 cm long.

Use a lighter and burn the mono filament to form the eyes. I use a small tweezer and just pinch the last bid that I don't want burned.

Cover the eyes with red UV Fly paint and dry with a UV torch (or go stand in the sun for a while making sure you take the fly with). You can also use the fly paint to make the eyes as big as you want.

Cut some fibers from a zonker strip and tie in as a tail, and take your thread forward.

Last edited by Morne; 06-09-09 at 09:29 PM.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Tie in some Stretchy nymph rib behind the eyes and tie it down all the way to the tail. Wind the rib forward and tie off behind the eyes.

Dub some seals dubbing onto your thread and create a thorax. Make some figure of eight wraps around the eyes and whip finish.

Finished fly. The seals fur comes onto its own when wet as it gives a nice translucent effect.

From the top

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."

Very nice fly, Morne!! I like it a lot

Good morning Morne

Nice looking fly. I really like the UV idea for the eyes. It makes it so much easier and it looks way better than chenille.

Cheers
    MC

Nice one Morne. I like the small size.

Can also use the red beads with the silver lining inside - makes the eyes shine nicely.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Nice pattern Morne!!!

Simple, yet deadly....

At risk of pulling my name through the mud, you should try fishing this pattern in the pools on the rivers - DEADLY!!!!
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Thanks guys.

I have a small soft hackle damsel that I use on the rivers when Roland starts bragging about how he is out fishing me to put him back in his place. It never fails.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    Thanks guys.

I have a small soft hackle damsel that I use on the rivers when Roland starts bragging about how he is out fishing me to put him back in his place. It never fails.
    SBS...?????? Pretty please.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    SBS...?????? Pretty please.
    I will see what I can do Jan, but it is quite simple realy.

Olive Marabou tail, Small metal bead head eyes(for a bid of weight as I use a floating line). Olive Seals fur dubbing or hare's ear dubbing for body. Copper wire rib and about 3 small olive partridge feathers that I palmer around the body woolly bugger style.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Jan this is sort of the big brother prototype. It has evolved to be smaller but you can get the general idea. I normal tie them in #14 or #16

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast