Thread: Fly memory and storage

Default Fly memory and storage

How do you guys remember all the flies that worked.
    Do you keep a sample stached away?
    I find as time goes on and as differant flies get added and you find they work you start ussing others less untill one day you remember you once had a fly and you can hardly just remember it was a nimph

I supose now a days a quick photo is the best and probably all the fish you caught with it.

Jannie

Quote Originally Posted by Glans View Post
    How do you guys remember all the flies that worked.
    Do you keep a sample stached away?
    I find as time goes on and as differant flies get added and you find they work you start ussing others less untill one day you remember you once had a fly and you can hardly just remember it was a nimph

I supose now a days a quick photo is the best and probably all the fish you caught with it.

Jannie
    It's not about remembering which fly worked. Its about which fly , in which conditions, and how it was fished. It is not something you have to remember, it's a matter of simple experience, and a process of learning.
    Remember, all flies work in their correct application.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    It's not about remembering which fly worked. Its about which fly , in which conditions, and how it was fished. It is not something you have to remember, it's a matter of simple experience, and a process of learning.
    Remember, all flies work in their correct application.
    Jannie, Andre is right about it being a process. The easiest way to retain that experience and speed up the learning curve, is to keep a notebook and record the pertinent details of each outing. I often refer back to my notes of previous outings and it helps the lessons I learned on a particular outing to really sink in. Over time you will notice definite trends emerging for a variety of conditions.

It is also a useful tool to use when your better half accuses you of "fishing all the time". You can demonstrate that, in fact, on average you fish only 4 times a month, which is on average 50% less than her bookclub/tennis mom outings.
    When it comes to size, lie.... lie until you believe yourself, but lie.

i remember everything whether i like it or not. I even remeber my phone number from elementary school.

really though, if a fly works, or caught a special fish, the appropriate question is how can you forget it?

.......you'll eventually realize that you dont need that many patterns to catch fish. There are great patterns out there, that can be used in nearly any tipe of situation. Do yourself a favour...read this mounths TCFF. Marcus Janssen wrote an awesome artical called "It's all about the fly". A lot of anglers will disagree with him, but I agree...it makes sense.