Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which 5wt reel for Vaal yellows?

Default Which 5wt reel for Vaal yellows?

Hi all
    I will soon be doing my first trip to the Vaal to catch some yellows on fly. My current setup is more aimed at stillwater trout and I am thinking of upgrading/buying a proper reel to match my Horizon 5wt rod. With so many reels out there, what is the best advice for someone who wants something decent for yellows? My budget is around R1000.

Questions that comes to mind, for example, is durability - I heard that Vaal fishing could be heavy on your equipment, drag - is it necessary and what type and is large arbour a requirement?

For trout I have never really bothered about the reel - its only used to hold the line ie el-cheapo reels were fine, but now that I want to get into yellows, I suspect I need to get something decent. Any advice would appreciated!

Thanks

I have had great service from Ross reels over the years. Not sure what they cost these days. Otherwise, look at a shilton? To be honest though, Unless you are doing a lot of short line / czech nymphing, not sure it is necessary.
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Thumbs up Stealth Mid-Arbor machined bar-stock aluminium reels

Check out Stealth's new "Mid-Arbor" reels. R 895.00 to R 995.00 for a machined reel, from bar-stock alu is not bad going, I must say! Really good reels for a great price. Sealed drag, the works.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael; 08-09-09 at 08:29 AM.

I love people who think that a reel simply holds line...for any type of fishng...how wrong can one be, but anyway, thats another argument.
    For yellows, a good feature of any reel, is one that you can turn the drag up gradually, while the fish is on. Shiltons are fine for the upper end, but can take some getting used to, due to the fact that it takes only a slight turn of the drag knob to turn the reel quite tight. What you really want, is some reel here the drag turns up a little slower than the Shilton. To me, the Abel super 5N, is the ultimate yellowfish reel, but then it is simply he ultimate reel for anything in the 5 to 6 wt class. If you are not prepared to have to double mortgage the house for a reel, Explorer have a reasonably good reel, as do Horizon, but yes, for a grand, you should be able to get any number of decent reels that will do the job.

On the cheaper end of the scale I have just bought a xplorer STX. Have not had the chance to properly test the drag on a size yellow but so far no probs and it feels really good and solid.
    In my mind buy a decent, but cheaper reel and spend the rest on something else like good boots or line.

Just my opinion.
    Rob

The Horizon reel is 100%, I have 2 and use them on the Vaal 99% of the time. The new horizon Large Arbour also looks great and is around R1400.

Alternatively try the Vision KOMA, pop a PM to Pieter Kriel [pieterkriel] and get some info / price.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/member.php?u=775

PS: I have taken numerous SM >3kg and some close to 4kg and have only been on the backing ONCE!

I have been in the market for a 5wt reel for 2 months now and have slept on this a few nights; although I am sure the Shiltons, Abels, etc. is great to own, in all honesty I think the 'cheaper' brands will perform, for all practical purposes, {assuming an avarage angler - non-competitive ff}, just as well.

I will probably buy the new Horizon LA reel and/or some more Vision Komas.

Just my opinion - please do not go off-track with this thread guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Babyson View Post
    On the cheaper end of the scale I have just bought a xplorer STX. Have not had the chance to properly test the drag on a size yellow but so far no probs and it feels really good and solid.
    In my mind buy a decent, but cheaper reel and spend the rest on something else like good boots or line.

Just my opinion.
    Rob
    Good advice Rob.
    This is correct...when fishing the Vaal (or any yellowfish water for that matter) all you do is pre-set the drag before you start fishing...the drag must be set just tight enough so that when you quickly strip line off, you don't get overwinds. No more is needed.
    When you fight a fish...and need more drag...simply "palm" the reel (that's why it's important to get a reel with an exposed spool-rim).
    If you start messing with the drag while figthing a fish...I guarantee one or two fish lost due to sudden bursts of speed by the fish when you are about to land it. Tightish drag = popped tippet...

So buy a decent reel, but don't go overboard on price. The line, tippet, hooks and rod is way more important on yellowfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Good advice Rob.
    This is correct...when fishing the Vaal (or any yellowfish water for that matter) all you do is pre-set the drag before you start fishing...the drag must be set just tight enough so that when you quickly strip line off, you don't get overwinds. No more is needed.
    When you fight a fish...and need more drag...simply "palm" the reel (that's why it's important to get a reel with an exposed spool-rim).
    If you start messing with the drag while figthing a fish...I guarantee one or two fish lost due to sudden bursts of speed by the fish when you are about to land it. Tightish drag = popped tippet...

So buy a decent reel, but don't go overboard on price. The line, tippet, hooks and rod is way more important on yellowfish.
    yes, but it's very difficult to palm a reel when you have a net in one hand, that you are trying to get under the fish, or, if you don't use a net, trying to grab the fish with your other hand.
    I like the idea of buying a cheaper, adequate reel, and spending the extra on a good pair of boots, ......or even a 10 foot rod, hey Michael...one that offers good tippet protection , even with a tightish drag.....
    Sorry Michael, I'm in a stirring mood...

FlyFanatic Banned User

Explorer STX, nice cheap large arbour reel with good drag at affordable (about R400) price.

for a grand i wouldnt look at anything other than a pentz predator. I've had shimano's, explorers, stealths, visions and horizons in that price bracket and they dont come close.

Super light, very low start up inertia and a drag you can tighten gradually.
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast