Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do we need a Sharks Board in SA?

I think the reason why we are using Shark nets in SA is because of the below:

In 1928 the enclosure was demolished as a result of the damage it had suffered from the often rough surf, extensive corrosion and the high cost of maintenance. In the next 11 years there was no evidence to suggest that shark attack was a problem in KwaZulu-Natal. This changed in 1940, when five attacks took place along an 8 km stretch of coastline to the south of Durban, between Amanzimtoti and Winklespruit. In 1943 the Durban beaches became the focal point for shark attack. Between 1943 and 1951, Durban experienced 21 attacks, seven of which were fatal.
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    I think the reason why we are using Shark nets in SA is because of the below:

In 1928 the enclosure was demolished as a result of the damage it had suffered from the often rough surf, extensive corrosion and the high cost of maintenance. In the next 11 years there was no evidence to suggest that shark attack was a problem in KwaZulu-Natal. This changed in 1940, when five attacks took place along an 8 km stretch of coastline to the south of Durban, between Amanzimtoti and Winklespruit. In 1943 the Durban beaches became the focal point for shark attack. Between 1943 and 1951, Durban experienced 21 attacks, seven of which were fatal.
    I say take away the shark nets on Durban's main beach....especially on new year's day....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    especially on new year's day....

Why especially on new years day
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

the point is not whether or not people get killed by sharks. because they do. the point is, why does that matter? Its strictly a selfish human thing. thats all, bottom line. You saw the stats... out of what, 500million people getting in the water there are 7 who die? i like my odds... and if i didn't like them, i would avoid places with sharks.

I know humans are selfish, this is our main problem as a species. until this type of thinking changes, pollution, crappy quality food, plastic packaging, dying sharks, etc will exist.

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    the point is not whether or not people get killed by sharks. because they do. the point is, why does that matter? Its strictly a selfish human thing. thats all, bottom line. You saw the stats... out of what, 500million people getting in the water there are 7 who die? i like my odds... and if i didn't like them, i would avoid places with sharks.

I know humans are selfish, this is our main problem as a species. until this type of thinking changes, pollution, crappy quality food, plastic packaging, dying sharks, etc will exist.
    I am by no means saying that Shark nets are a good thing, but what are the stats with regards to the amounts of Sharks, dophins, etc that are caught in the nets in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Why especially on new years day
    If you've seen how people destroy, decend upon, litter, and ^%$# up Durban's main on New Year's day...you'll know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you've seen how people destroy, decend upon, litter, and ^%$# up Durban's main on New Year's day...you'll know what I mean.
    It used to be really horrific but over ther last few years there has been a major effort to prevent this. Nowadays it is almost impossible to get anywhere near the beach, all the roads are blocked off and only residents can get access.

Its by no means perfect but there has been a definate improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    Frankly, I don't care if people get attacked by sharks. I mean really, who do we think we are? .........
    Until it happens to you, and then the SA Government and nature conservation etc didn't do enough to protect you and your rights to surf in a safe environment and to be protected from wild beasts.....
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

I am glad you guys dig my assistant on my Avatar, one of her many talents is tailing fish!

The Shark Board and what they stand for has been worrying me for some time now. And after events last week, I really question their purpose and role in the current world we live in. Will post some pics tmor from my other computer.

My take on the relevance of the Natal Sharks Board:

• They were created to deal with a “shark problem” which was greatly created by us during the whaling years. Whales were towed in from allover and processed at the Bluff whaling station. Non stop chumming of epic proportions took place very year during the whaling season, which attracted sharks from all over. Deep water species as well as coastal sharks.
    • Never mind the sharks; people had great fun killing dolphins, sharks, Groupers, etc during this time, simply because the supply seemed endless.
    • And by ODD chance, then some people got bit by sharks around the KZN coast during this time! And all of a sudden sharks became public enemy number 1. Beaches were fenced off and sharks were targeted by all and sundry.
    • Due to the difficulties with the fenced in type enclosures, mesh gill nets were deployed at most the popular beaches later after a spate attacks over a period now known as “Black December”.

Fast forward to today…

• Since 40 years ago, nothing much has changed in the way they operate. Yes they have become more so called conservation minded, but look past that bullsh1t and you will find that only the makings of the PR part of a government business plan, scary as that may seem.
    • They claim - Yes we kill sharks, but we realize they are creatures in dire straits as a species and we need to protect them !?
    • Adult shark numbers have plummeted; certain species like small dusky shark are a pest in some areas due to the absence of their bigger hungry cousins.
    • And still most sharks are caught on the inside of the staggered nets.
    • I am convinced that the by-catch (Turtles, rays, dolphins, others fish) actually outnumber the sharks caught. The sharks board claim to keep accurate catch records – good luck to you to try and see those records...
    • How much does this cost us, the tax payers? They offer protected employment – but guess who pays the salaries, the boats, etc?
    • Down the South coast there is thriving diving industry. Lots of people are paying good money for the chance of seeing a Raggie or to free dive with a Tiger. So why haven't the Sharksboard evolved into a self sustaining or even profitable business?

I spend a lot of time in and on top of the water, yes I have dived with sharks, yes I have had sharks around my kayak, even chomping the odd fish. I am scared of sharks? No, but healthy repect yes - they are great creatures to be around withy if you use some common sense. But I can tell you I am very nervous to be alone on our beaches where I can targeted by a species far more cunning and devious than a shark can ever be…
    Last edited by HolyGT; 10-09-09 at 12:13 PM. Reason: ispeling

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast