Thread: DVD - Once in a blue moon

Default DVD - Once in a blue moon

Has anybody else seen this DVD?

I got my copy yesterday and watched it today, will post my comments later tonight, for now - AMAZING!

Available from Netbooks:

http://www.netbooks.co.za/Main.asp?D...VD0OTF01461+++

"The Fly Fishing Adventure of a Lifetime
    The stuff of folklore, 'Once in a Blue Moon' unravels the mystery of an event that occurs briefly once a decade. This strange and unreal journey takes us into some of the most remote and beautiful parts of New Zealand as we follow one angler's quest to document and unravel a childhood mystery and catch the fish of a lifetime.
    In an unpredictable chain of events a mass flowering of the ancient New Zealand Beech forest leads to an excess of seed production. Mice and rodents take advantage of this abundance and numbers reach plague proportions. Incredible footage follows these rodents as they embark on a strange migration, attempting to swim across the expanse of New Zealand's rivers and lakes. There they fall prey to the largest predators in the lake - monster brown trout. Gorging themselves on swimming mice, these fish become extremely aggressive and grow to epic proportions. For a fly fishing Angler, this is the stuff dreams are made of.

Shot in beautiful high definition, with stunning cinematography and never-before-seen underwater footage, fantastic fly fishing and amazing trout behavior, this film will take you deep into the tale of the mysterious "Mouse Year". If you are a serious fly angler and appreciate expert casting, this film is a must."

HI Barend,

Sounds very interesting. How many viewing minutes is this CD??

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I checked it out on Netbooks and its quite short...38 minutes

There are some lovely shots, some cool photography and nice editing. It is a well-made video, but does not truely do justice to New Zealand. Also, no real monsters are caught on the video and the whole point of being excited about a mouse year is that the average weight of New Zealand fish shifts up 2-4 lbs. o they should be showing some monsters in the video to represent this.

If you want to see people catching monster trout in NZ, look no further than the "Trophy Trout" series from NZ. 7 videos total, all very long, all educational, all have fish over 10lbs from NZ streams.

I rate this video OK

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post
    There are some lovely shots, some cool photography and nice editing. It is a well-made video, but does not truely do justice to New Zealand. Also, no real monsters are caught on the video and the whole point of being excited about a mouse year is that the average weight of New Zealand fish shifts up 2-4 lbs. o they should be showing some monsters in the video to represent this.

If you want to see people catching monster trout in NZ, look no further than the "Trophy Trout" series from NZ. 7 videos total, all very long, all educational, all have fish over 10lbs from NZ streams.

I rate this video OK
    Thanks for the great review.

Quote Originally Posted by FishZ View Post

I rate this video OK
    First things first: Trophy trout series 7 of them There goes more money

As for the review I agree; what I expected from the description vs. what it is is NOT AT ALL the same [sorry Craig - but we are honest here, most of the time].

BUT - It is an awesome DVD, the 1st few minutes / intro part has super amazing quality and footage, whilst the other 35min is amazing. A lot is said about these so called 'mouse years', but they never really get to the point and they build up to this 'ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT TIME...' 'MONSTERS THEN HUNT....' night time shots that never come... that really pi$$ed me off

However, it is definately worth watching; great fooatge, TOP QUALITY, great use of audio vs. scene...

I rate it OK - but as with most DVDs these days it is 'expensive'; but then again, comparing it to a <R170 DVD the differences are obvious.

Gaza Banned User

Hmmm , my copy should be waiting in my postbox when I get back home from Singapore in a few days...