Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sonstraal and Vygeboom Dams (Durbanville) Management Plans

Quote Originally Posted by benthemshoop View Post
    Thank you guys I am writing about last 5 years about it and getting enough information from here...!
    What???!!!!?!!!!

You guys from Florida are smoking some weird shit. Where is your friend with the big gaf and the fishing updates

Hi guys, does anyone have any updates on the situation regarding these dams? Because of some new chapters in my life I was in a bit of a forum hibernation. A few weeks back a went to the dams. man, o, man. sight fishing heaven if you are targeting carp... i did not take my gear but there did arrive some schoolboys who fished there. I just wanted to hear what my chances are of getting arrested if 'n fished here....?
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Janse van Rensburg View Post
    Hi guys, does anyone have any updates on the situation regarding these dams? Because of some new chapters in my life I was in a bit of a forum hibernation. A few weeks back a went to the dams. man, o, man. sight fishing heaven if you are targeting carp... i did not take my gear but there did arrive some schoolboys who fished there. I just wanted to hear what my chances are of getting arrested if 'n fished here....?
    Chances are good if the local duck huggers see you and call Altus De Wet at the municipality!!
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

That sucks!!! I went there again this afternoon, to the first dam in Vygeboom from the Durbanweg side and saw 7 carp up close. All of them were nice size fish 2kg and up.
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

From last year.
    http://www.sealine.co.za/attachment.php?id=113597

Text:
    Moratorium tackled

) Fishing families chased away from dam

esme.erasmus

The thorny issue of fishing at the two retention dams in Durbanville flared up this weekend again with residents crying out for a reconsideration of the moratorium on fishing.
    A moratorium was placed on fishing at the Sonstraal and Vygeboom dams in 2007. It was the result of numerous complaints about noise, drunkenness, camping, parking problems, littering and injury to waterfowl.
    Anglers were then accused of leaving behind fishing lines and hooks. Waterfowl subsequently got caught up in the fishing tackle and were maimed, even killed.
    Notice boards were then put up at the dams to prohibit fishing.
    The latest outcry came after about nine families who were enjoying a picnic and fishing at the Sonstraal Dam on Sunday morning were chased away at about 10:30 by law enforcement officers.
    According to a father from Durbanville, who was fishing there with his son after church, about 15 teenagers who came to the dam on their bicycles and motorbikes to fish, were also chased away.
    “We are decent people and were just enjoying ourselves. The dam was jampacked with activity.
    “As soon as we sat down and started chatting, I looked around and felt proud to have such a great dam with families having picnics and young teenagers stopping with fishing rods to fish. It was a great sight to see,” he wrote to TygerBurger.
    “Then the law enforcement officials arrived and walked to everyone sitting at the dam and threatened us with a R1 000 fine if we carried on fishing.
    “They chased away the teenagers, fathers and sons that were there to bond and forced families to pack up a day at the dam to go elsewhere.
    The father added he found it “absolutely pathetic” that the Durbanville community allows this.
    He admitted they (law enforcement) were just doing their job and were polite, but firmly believes the ban on fishing should be reconsidered.
    “These youngsters were only having good, clean fun fishing at the dams.
    “In a society full of alcohol and drug abuse by our youth, surely an innocent fishing trip should be allowed, especially on a Sunday morning,” he said.
    Malcolm King, a representative of the Western Province Freshwater Angling Association and chairman of the Cape Town Angling Club, said he grew up fishing at the two dams in Durbanville.
    “They really should reconsider this moratorium on fishing.
    “Our children need ways to relax and have good, clean fun without being harassed, instead of hanging out in shopping malls,” he said.
    . To page 2.
    Julian Rusconi and his son, Antonio (5) of Durbanville are enjoying a legal outing, sailing their boat on the Sonstraal Dam in Durbanville. Fishing at this dam, as well as the Vygeboom Dam, is illegal. The City of Cape Town plans to reconsider the moratorium on fishing at these dams. Photo: Carina Roux

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Janse van Rensburg View Post
    That sucks!!! I went there again this afternoon, to the first dam in Vygeboom from the Durbanweg side and saw 7 carp up close. All of them were nice size fish 2kg and up.
    Someone made the observation that since the fine is only R30, it can be classed as a relatively cheap "day-ticket" venue. :biggrin:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2