Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 3wt reel?

[

I have decided to build myself a Sage ZXL 8'6 3wt at some stage and for that I'll probably go for a Sage Click reel.[/QUOTE]

Now you're talking.......sanity prevails at last.

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Just saw a mate of mine and he picked up a small Sensation 2/3 for R100. Seems like that would do the trick quite nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The Phantom?? Great little reels for the price
    Nope, it's the VIKING - upon closer inspection (didn't look too close the 1st time), the reel foot says 5-weight...

We weighed the reels (each loaded with their respective backing and 3-weight line) and both came out at ~150g. The Sensation Viking is almost the same diameter as the Xplorer, but narrower, and standard (small) arbour (the Phantom is the large-arbour), so my mate had 100m of backing on to fill the reel for less memory on the fly line.

I see from the Sensational reel page:

http://www.sensationtackle.co.za/sensation_reels.html

5-weight is as small as they go.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    It does have a drag, and a pretty good one for a freshwater reel, and simply cannot even be compared to an Xplorer Eclipse in any way, shape or form.
    Shaun, the Nautilus model I was refering to was an older model (cannot see it on their website), but have seen some in SA shops, where there was no drag, just an in/out tension knob. I am glad the Featherweight has a drag system.

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    I found another thread talking about reels in which Gary (GGY) mentions the Okuma Airframe - graphite construction, so will be light, and large arbour. Good for a "line keeper".

Looked at their website and seems like they might have changed name (see their page on the "Cascade" reel - http://www.okumafishing.com/family/61834/Cascade - same looking reel with the large star drag on the side), byt they only list a 4/6 as the smallest size.
    Yup - they have renamed the Airframe the Cascade.
    Forget what the maker lists the reel size as - use your own judgement.
    I fish the 7/9 model with 5&6 weight lines, and at 6oz (170g) it weighs about as much as most smaller reels marked for as 5wt (if not a bit less than most). I would agree that the 4/6 is too heavy at 5oz (140g) for a 3wt, but then be careful that the 3wt reel you choose is not a heavy one.
    (As an example, the Albright Bugatti 3/4 weighs 5.5oz, the 5/6 5.9oz & 7/8 6.3oz)

I fish oversize reels as a rule, where it makes sense.
    In a reel range, the reel seat is the same (and the same weight), many use the same drag for the range (and the same weight), so the only differences in weight come from the additional material for the frame and spool. These are often minor increases in overall weight from the smallest size to the largest size, and since I want rapid line pickup, I fish the bigger reel.

I fish a Stealth SLA3 (rated as a 7wt reel) on my 5wt for SM.
    I use the SLA2 (rated as a 5wt reel) on my 3wt (8 1/2, 9ft & 10ft rods).
    I don't have a SLA1 (rated as a 3wt reel) - I don't see the point, since the SLA2 is almost the same weight, but with a larger arbour.

Take the Sage Click series - there is such little difference in overall weight between the CLick I & Click IV (four - yes, they do make a IV), that for the larger arbour, I would recommend the IV for anyone who wants a Click for a 2-4wt reel, especially since these rods could be used for more than just small stream trout. For a 000-1wt - I would seriously pay attention to the Click II or III over the Click I.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I fish oversize reels as a rule, where it makes sense.
    Gary, thanks for your input. Interesting point that about faster line pickup, never even considered that...
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Redington has a new series of reels coming out called Drift reels. they should be a nice price and a nice reel. the small one is a 2/3 wt

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I would seriously pay attention to the Click II or III over the Click I.
    Agreed, the Click I could possibly only be used on a 000wt, whereas the others rated for heavier lineweights would be more versatile.

This is my next 3wt reel.

Most definately not for everyone but i like it a lot!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    This is my next 3wt reel.

Most definately not for everyone but i like it a lot!
    Cool looking, nice and light - but if those are pop rivets holding the spoke in......blech!
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5