Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jelly Mayflies & Emergers

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    The curved long shank flies are tied on #16, some of the hooks are old Targus hooks and the others are Grip.
    Thanks for the prompt response Paul - waswaiting for the reply before I head into town and get me some of the smaller long-shank nymph hooks. I only have of the larger sizes.

For the record the Grip hook is the better hook, I snapped some of the Targus hooks while stretching and palmering the stretch Magic. So such misfortune with the Grip hooks.
    I haven't seen much of anything else other than the Grip hooks - they seem to have a good supply job around here!

I think these flies show a lot of promise and will get to test them out in the next week or so. Will report back!
    They sure do! With the stream season open now, and soft hackles being quite useful up here, I am going to do some to test too.

Thanks again!
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Heya Paul,

Finally about to get me some tying done and still keen to try these jelly buggers...

Just a quick Q regarding those long shank curved nymph hooks: I have heard some folks having hook-up problems, and in descussion, we are putting it down, maybe, to the small gape that these hooks have...have you experienced any problems with them in this regard?

TIA.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Heya Paul,

Finally about to get me some tying done and still keen to try these jelly buggers...

Just a quick Q regarding those long shank curved nymph hooks: I have heard some folks having hook-up problems, and in descussion, we are putting it down, maybe, to the small gape that these hooks have...have you experienced any problems with them in this regard?

TIA.
    Hi Jan

Personally I have not had problems with hookups and not really heard of anybody else having problems.

What I have experienced with the smaller size hooks is that they can open up if you yank to hard due to the light wire.

I think if you take reasonable care in fighting a fish you should be ok. Have landed 2kg yellows using #16 hooks and landed them successfully.

I hope that helps!

Regards

Paul
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Thanks for the prompt response Paul. Good to hear you had no hassles.

I am going to tie some and throw them in the river on Sunday and see what the spotted brown fellows make of them....
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Thanks for the prompt response Paul. Good to hear you had no hassles.

I am going to tie some and throw them in the river on Sunday and see what the spotted brown fellows make of them....
    Tight lines!!!!!!!
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2