Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yellows in Groot Marico

Welcome to the fraternity Jacques!
    You can catch bucket loads of fish in the Vaal, have you fair share of action on Sterkies or Boskop, but dang Groot Marico breaks a man!

After you have been to Groot Marico it is paramount that you get some "easy" fish ASAP, just to lift your spirits and assure you that you still CAN outsmart some fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques O Dell View Post
    All I can say is BLIKSEM! Am I allowed to say it here. Well that is the least these blerrie yellows deserve.
    I visited a very nice spot on the the Groot marico the past weekend. Never in my life have I been so close to giving up fly fishing. I feel like I need to sell all my gear, no wait give it away...
    Damn these yellows are hard to catch!
    For the moment (going back to the post where it is said that the bass are taking over) the yellowsa re having the upper hand! I saw many many yellows, hundreds in fact, of which at least 10 had to be over 3 kg. To me it was amazing how many (and huge size) this small river supported.
    The bass are plenty though and I am sure that if something is not done about this then the yellows will dissapear in the future.
    I tried my best for conservation but in a whole weekend only managed to catch 3 bass. Yes even the bass are fussy eaters! My usual bass flies (which have caught alot of bass) did not even interest them. I then resorted to soft plastics on the spinning reel. No interest! Even big things of well over 2kg wasn't interested in the very popular dune bug fluke or green pumpin frogs... Flippin foreign fish!
    I managed to catch the one bass of arounf 1 kg on a nr 14 balck mayfly nymph. Never in my life have i seen bass eat such small things.
    Landed the other on a dragonfly nymph and the third on a large cream caddis with flash. The one on dragonfly was killed with most hate towards a fish ever. I actualty felt bad afterwards. I casted at this school of yellows for hours. Changed flies at least 40 times. After a while I got so irritated getting stuck in trees and so on that the csst became sloppier. For some reason the worst my casting was the more the yelloews were interested... I tink it has to do with the fruits of the trees falling nth e water that they so readily eat, like mulberry and witstinkhout. But they refused the fly every time. After about 3 hours of casting to them I got a take. But it was a bass. Needless to say he bacame marico ghielemientjie food... So did the other two.
    So ja die flippen geelvis wil nie byt nie. Managed to hook one in the rapids but he got under a rock and snagged me quickly. One geelvis for a whole weekend. Eish!
    My tactics from now on is to fish the rapids untill I have success. These fish are more likely to take a fly as they can not see that it is not 'real'. The fish in the rapids are smaller than the mothers in the pools. But the damn things in the pools can bekyk jou vliegie vir die dood before they refuse it anyway. The problem is also strike indicators. They spook the fish, but without them there is no chance of hooking a fish. Apparantly they take the fly way to soft to notice.
    I f anyone has some solid info on how to catch these yellows please help. They are driving me insane (as you may have noticed...) I have heard that the tnt fly works but it makes catch and release a bit tricky...

All I can say is "THANK ***" I thought I was the only one strugling!! I have never so NOT enjoyed a session out!! I am on my way again this weekend, I will try Herman's advise and drift a team downstream into the deeper pools, who knows, somethings gotta give!! PS: I am also packing the shotgun!

Ok let us know what happens! You must try a 'WS fly' aka witstinkhout saad vliegie. I have seen them hang under trees in the deeper pools. I saw that the fish paid quite a bit of attention to any fly hitting the water hard. They bailed at the end. I then drop a few seed into the water and they wacked them with force! At this stage I had packed up my rods and my ego was bruised to much to try again. These seeds are pea sized, dark green in colour, the riper ones yellow. They eat them like you won't believe. I'd say fish them like a mulberry. Splash hard. Just not sure how you are going to hide the hook because these blerrie fish will notice that pointy thing...

Long Leaders in 4X and 5X. One nymph, damsel, caddis or small dragon heavily weighted fished downstream.

Let the line out and let it sink. Then give it about 600mm or so slow strip and let it go back downstream again. This will entice the fish to take the fly and some refer to this way of fishing as the Jumping Nymph Technique.

STAY AWAY FROM FLASH AND FLASHY BEADS!!!!! Tie your flies smallish from 14-18 and tie them natural......STAY AWAY FROM FLASH AND FLASHY BEADS!!!!

KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Long Leaders in 4X and 5X. One nymph, damsel, caddis or small dragon heavily weighted fished downstream.

Let the line out and let it sink. Then give it about 600mm or so slow strip and let it go back downstream again. This will entice the fish to take the fly and some refer to this way of fishing as the Jumping Nymph Technique.

STAY AWAY FROM FLASH AND FLASHY BEADS!!!!! Tie your flies smallish from 14-18 and tie them natural......STAY AWAY FROM FLASH AND FLASHY BEADS!!!!

KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!
    And then it happened...... FISH ON!!!!!!!!! After many days flogging the Groot Marico your and Hermans advice paid off! I took 6 yellows this weekend, landed 3, one of 3.2kg, the other two average Vaal size I guess +- 1.5 - 1.8kg, all caught on the above method. I leopard crawled/swam to the tail ends of the bigger pools and then drifted a truck and trailer rig into the next pool with a heavily weighted dark brown GRHE in 16 and a zak 20 on point. No flash no beads no strike indicator all on 5x and 12ft leader. Unfortunately a lot of dead branches and reeds etc. etc. thus lost half of them! But that’s par for the course. The water wasn’t crystal clear like my previous outings, maybe this helped? But great fun, great weekend isn’t it always if you catch? But is this fly fishing though, I wonder? Also tried drop shotting and flyfishing for bass - no luck!

Hi Guys

This posts I see is a couple of years old and I do not know how far cracking the Marico code has come. After really growing fed up for the viz on the Vaal, me and my fishing buddy decided on short notice to do a recce to the Groot Marico. I did some research on the topic by harassing various guys (including Jacques - thanks for the info). We arrived at hte river late Friday evening and had just enough time to quickly walk down to the stream. To our utter dismay the river looked even worse than the Vaal and was very high.

Day 1:

We decided to fish the slower pockets in the rapids as we concluded this might be our best option to get some fish. I hooked a small largescale eary the morning (probably the length of a standard flyrod grip). Tiaan hooked up on a fairly decent sized loodvis a bit later. Then nothing....

Day 2

We woke up to a nice rainy day. The river came up even more and was even more discolored - did not even know it had the capacity to carry more sediment. Anyway fished a bit and managed to land another small largescale. I foul hooked two bigger fish and came to the conclusion that the take is so soft and fast by the time I register the fish has already exhaled the fly and with the hookset I got a nice large scale as a consolation prize.

Final remarks

I would like to fish the river again under normal flow, I think you must be able to observe the fish to set the hook as touch alone is not quick enough. I am not the best with short line techniques so I might be giving the wrong impression. I overturned quit a few rocks and only found the odd Heptageniidae (flat-headed mayfly). I have observed the same trend in the mooiriver ( North West not the one in KZN) and it is interesting because both are fed by dolomite springs.

Hopefully with our next excursion we will be able to bag a few nice fish!
    Last edited by nickvz; 06-02-17 at 01:19 PM.

I fished the Pongola and Assegai rivers a couple years ago with Horst Filter, and I can say that it helps to being psychic like Horst when trying to register bites from Large and Small scale!

His technique was to fish the slow pools, cast across and let the nymphs drift down on a 'tight' line (i.e. don't mend, let the bow develop in the line) and pop them off the bottom occasionaly. Bites register as a faint quiver on the line and you strip strike with your hand as they often have a second go. Don't know if that will help on the Groot Marico?

I fished the Pongola and Assegai last year with Horst, found the fishing difficult but the Groot Marico is a bit different. I guess the same techniques will apply, I will have to go back under normal flow conditions and give it a try just to be sure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123