Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Edwards - Nymph Skin Caddis - Yellowfish

Wow! That is brilliant, thanks Paul

Rob

You can also tie it like Keith does...with the hook point up, and gills on either side.

(Photo courtesy Hans Weilenmann, fly by Keith Wallington...as found here: http://www.danica.com/flytier/kwalli...ddis_larva.htm)

Bit more tricky though...and Keith coats the top of the fly with Sally Hansen's Megashine. It's a good idea to coat the Oliver Edwards pattern as tied by Paul as well, for durability...the permanent marker tends to wash and rub off if you don't.

Great tie Paul, as always!

FlyFanatic Banned User

looks really nice! BUT it will not last 5 minutes on the Vaal.. Getting snagged up on rocks, rocksnot, and then not to mention the fish..

If you ask me those legs only look nice, no functionality whatsoever. Im pretty sure you will catch just as many fish with the pattern without the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    looks really nice! BUT it will not last 5 minutes on the Vaal.. Getting snagged up on rocks, rocksnot, and then not to mention the fish..

If you ask me those legs only look nice, no functionality whatsoever. Im pretty sure you will catch just as many fish with the pattern without the legs.
    Firstly, to all the great comments from everybody, THANKS!!!!

Fly Fanatic, you're spot on. I don't fish that fly. Firstly pheasant tail, I find, very brittle and avoid if for anything other than bodies for PTN's. And then I use standard hackle fibre for the tail, that lasts! Also tying in the legs cans be a finicky business and time consuming.

But hey, it's a nice fly, good to have one or two in your box to impress your mates with!

Thanks for the comments, regards Paul
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Wow Paul! Thanks for the brilliant SBS. Really appreciate it. Yes, the fly is a challenge and intricate, but that is why I want to try this out. Thanks again Paul.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    PAUL!! THAT SEPERATES THE MEN FROM THE BOY'S. Take a f/tying tip. You have not posted any yourself that explains your f/tying abbilities. Furnish us with yours, awaiting yours!!!!!

DAVE
    Hi Dave

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say here! There was a tip regarding pheasant tail, my feelings regarding the material and how I use it in a prior post in this thread. Also when asked to provide this SBS I did so as the SBS is a series of tips in itself. I never thought of keeping this info to myself. Any other tips I have, I am always glad to share, guys who've seen my demonstrations etc I think will vouch for that. Please explain the ability thing, you lost me there.

Regards

Paul
    Last edited by Sage; 11-10-09 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Wow Paul! Thanks for the brilliant SBS. Really appreciate it. Yes, the fly is a challenge and intricate, but that is why I want to try this out. Thanks again Paul.
    Only a pleasure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Hi Dave

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say here!
    Don't worry, not many people do!

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    PRETTY!! Thats all.

Tie a fly that consistently catch fish. Not this fine fly.

DAVE
    Shaaarup!!! Uncle Pops!

I want to tie this fly as part of learning more techniques with regards to improving my fly tying skills...and because I dig this pattern.

But in any case, I dont have to explain myself to you...get back to your cabbage water...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Hi there Dave

I deleted your posts because they are in bad taste.

Paul, thanks for the SBS. Awesome tying.

Cheers
    MC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast