Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Goby Fly

Holy sh#t thats brilliant Mark. wow
    "I see the fly float gently down out of the air and land on target. For less than an instant I think, how can this be? Did I actually do that? But there is no time to contemplate philosophy or magic or the rewards of hard work. A trout is on the move..." - Ed Engle, Fishing Small Flies

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    Back / Tail: Thick-cut zonker, trimmed
    Body: Square lead, coil-wrapped into an oval shape underneath the hook, then covered with appropriately coloured dubbing. (The weighting is the tricky bit, but it has to be done right for the fly to swim properly.)
    Head: Polar Plus or sculpin wool
    Fins: Polar Plus, with a wee bit of Fluorofibre mixed in
    Nice tie Mark!

For anyone else interested in an SBS, also checkout the Oliver Edwards DVD series - #6 in the "Essential Skills" series is his "Streamer Fishing on Rivers" and he ties his "Waggy Tail Sculpin"....
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Default Goby SBS

I've drastically simplified the pattern to make it more tying-friendly without losing its appeal. This is my first attempt at a Step-by-Step, so be gentle!

1: Add appropriately sized dumbbell weight under the hook, in this case a Mustad 34011.

2: Add a few strips of lead wire behind the dumbbell to form an underbody. Apply lots of glue and thread.

3: Spin a dubbing loop of teased-out Polar Plus in an appropriate belly colour.

4: Add material for pectoral fins behind and above dumbbell. In this case I used SF Blend. Wind the dubbing loop forward.

5: Tie off the dubbing loop just in front of the dumbbell. The "fins" should angle slightly backward.

6: Pierce a section of zonker strip and tie in MSP-style. Here's a view from above.

7: Spin a head out of wool or a synthetic substitute. In this case Polar Plus.

8: Trim fly to shape, add eyes and go fishing. By altering the shape of the head, this pattern can also be turned into a baby catfish for freshwater applications.
    Last edited by MarkK; 18-10-09 at 10:51 AM.

awesome stuff
    "I see the fly float gently down out of the air and land on target. For less than an instant I think, how can this be? Did I actually do that? But there is no time to contemplate philosophy or magic or the rewards of hard work. A trout is on the move..." - Ed Engle, Fishing Small Flies

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    I've drastically simplified the pattern to make it more tying-friendly without losing its appeal.
    The Oliver Edwards sequences are often described as being "over complicating" - this sir, is just great! Thanks Mark.

Here's a YouTube link for an "Easy Sculpin":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk2Ib_gupvs

I put it here for the simple tip in that it uses a dubbing brush (which you can then also trim to your needs) instead of the spun head.

Dubbing brushes are excellent materials - there are some excellent colours out there, or as seen in other threds in this forum, you can make your own.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Great SBS Mark!!!

You obviously got lotsa time at the shop while the competition guys are playing in the white water.... NICE
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    see attached
    Had a frustrating day yesterday, surrounded by Grunter without one take. Knowing that there where many Goby around. I will tie up one and try again.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3