Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Float tube suggestions please!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,038

    Default

    Wait for it here it comes hang on hang on,wait wait wait....get the Fishcat and the world (or is that the Vaal) is your oyster!!
    Gerrit Viljoen

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Death traps! All of them!
    I agree, hate the d@mn things, but if you have to get a float tube, the Fish Cat, or Fish Cat Deluxe, is the safest. Its the only tube I would let my kids onto.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodmead, Sandton
    Posts
    114

    Default

    I have had my Explorer V-boat for about 5 years without any problems. Its a quality product in my opinion and looks like it will last another 5 years (or more), despite some heavy-handed use, which includes my 120kg frame! I have also added some DIY accessories like a rod holder for 3 rods on the side. Its also very stable and safe in my view.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I agree, hate the d@mn things, but if you have to get a float tube, the Fish Cat, or Fish Cat Deluxe, is the safest. Its the only tube I would let my kids onto.
    I think Graham was being sarcastic there...playing on all the previous discussions about tubes.

    I'd actually like to know, has anyone actually DIED while using a float tube in this country???? I don't think so.
    And even if so, was it the tube's fault, or operator error?

    And the Fishcat, versus the Xplorer...what ARE the differences in the pontoons and bladders, making the one "safer" than the other? I've seen both of them's bladders...and I see no difference.
    If fact, I know of someone who has a Fishcat who has sprung about 3 leaks in the bladders.

    Think of the accidents on our roads, and how many people get killed by cars. But we never call cars "death traps". Why? Because it's very rare that it's the car's fault!

    In my opinion, most tubes are pretty cool...if you don't do something really stupid there's no chance of capsizing. And if you regularly check the pontoons and bladders, they won't fail you either.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think Graham was being sarcastic there...playing on all the previous discussions about tubes.

    I'd actually like to know, has anyone actually DIED while using a float tube in this country???? I don't think so.
    And even if so, was it the tube's fault, or operator error?

    And the Fishcat, versus the Xplorer...what ARE the differences in the pontoons and bladders, making the one "safer" than the other? I've seen both of them's bladders...and I see no difference.
    If fact, I know of someone who has a Fishcat who has sprung about 3 leaks in the bladders.

    Think of the accidents on our roads, and how many people get killed by cars. But we never call cars "death traps". Why? Because it's very rare that it's the car's fault!

    In my opinion, most tubes are pretty cool...if you don't do something really stupid there's no chance of capsizing. And if you regularly check the pontoons and bladders, they won't fail you either.
    I'm not particulatry concerned about any of the issues you rase here, but almost entirely with the ease with which a tube can be paddled by a kid, on a large stillwater, when the wind comes up. This is probably my primary safety concern.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I'm not particulatry concerned about any of the issues you rase here, but almost entirely with the ease with which a tube can be paddled by a kid, on a large stillwater, when the wind comes up. This is probably my primary safety concern.
    You specifically stated the "Fishcat is the safest and the only tube you'd let your kids onto". Why...because you reckon they can paddle it the easiest? I don't understand that then, 'cos whether you are in a Fishcat, Prowler, Xplorer, Cumberland, whatever...the paddling issues are about the same. The one doesn't have a major advantage over the other, in terms of "speed" when paddling, or ease of paddling.

    Anyway, anyone who puts a minor on a float tube should have his head read anyway. I think it's, "define kid". How old? I certainly won't for example put an eight-year old on a tube!!

    Most tubing get's done fairly close to shore, anyway. It's rare you fish the middle of a big lake...there's nothing there. So most times the "kid" should only be about 30m from the bank, max. Fishing towards the bank, perpendicular to the bank, etc. If the wind comes up from the bank side, he can easily reach shore. If it comes up from the other side, no worries...he can just let the wind blow him onto the shore.

    Again...it's all common sense. You won't load your kid onto a tube in strong wind, you won't stray far from your kid when fishing in tubes (would you?), and you certainly want to be close by in the event of ANYTHING happening to him. You also won't drop your kid off at a huge lake with a tube and tell him "go fishing boy...see you later".

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,038

    Default

    punte punte punte Brian jou yster!!!!!!!!! 12-0
    Gerrit Viljoen

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You specifically stated the "Fishcat is the safest and the only tube you'd let your kids onto". Why...because you reckon they can paddle it the easiest? I don't understand that then, 'cos whether you are in a Fishcat, Prowler, Xplorer, Cumberland, whatever...the paddling issues are about the same. The one doesn't have a major advantage over the other, in terms of "speed" when paddling, or ease of paddling.

    Anyway, anyone who puts a minor on a float tube should have his head read anyway. I think it's, "define kid". How old? I certainly won't for example put an eight-year old on a tube!!

    Most tubing get's done fairly close to shore, anyway. It's rare you fish the middle of a big lake...there's nothing there. So most times the "kid" should only be about 30m from the bank, max. Fishing towards the bank, perpendicular to the bank, etc. If the wind comes up from the bank side, he can easily reach shore. If it comes up from the other side, no worries...he can just let the wind blow him onto the shore.

    Again...it's all common sense. You won't load your kid onto a tube in strong wind, you won't stray far from your kid when fishing in tubes (would you?), and you certainly want to be close by in the event of ANYTHING happening to him. You also won't drop your kid off at a huge lake with a tube and tell him "go fishing boy...see you later".
    Michael, may I suggest you take one Ibufrofin, climb into a cosy bed with a hot water bottle and a slab of chocolate. In a few days, it will all be better....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •