Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Species around Stillbaai / Jongensfontein in December ?

Default Species around Stillbaai / Jongensfontein in December ?

Howdy gents,

Being fortunate enough to be in Jongensfontein (10 mins from Stillbaai) for three days in the beginning of December, I will ofcourse be taking a rod or two with.

I think I am going to give Stillbaai itself a skip and focus on the surf zone / rocky areas around points with deeper water.

What can be found in the water around the time I am going ?

I'm assuming Shad / Leeries and possbily some Kabeljou if you can get to deep enough water ?

Any wisdom you might be able to share on the species around would be greatly appreciated.

( Thanking you in advance MCC )
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

hoosit van die kaap af... i guess u want 2 stay away from the river cos it will b busy.u might pick up sum elf and leeries in the mouth.mayb try conrads blacktail fly for them and wildeperd.sum massive fish from those species there.also the reefs around the point from the harbour should produce sum nice elf.my old man got a 4.5kg fish there earlier this year.mayb try the river if its quite,will b ur best bet 4 a cob.should b safe 2 fish there at night.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Welcome back lost soul. You have been conspiquous by your absence.

As far as your salty destination is concerned, I have less knowledge of that part of the country than I have as how to catch LM yellows in the Vaal, which as you know is nil.

Hopefully, Deewy, Garage or maybe even the Cabbage Water King, Uncle Dave will reply.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

You saying beginning of december? As is what dates, maybe I could come join you.

Well Elf can be thick there but for the surf spots you should take the long walk, dont bother with the popular spots as the bait guys will be packed dik there if the fish come in.

Working the river will yield leeries for sure and ther might be some grunter arround as well, bu rather trow bait at them.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    hoosit van die kaap af... i guess u want 2 stay away from the river cos it will b busy.u might pick up sum elf and leeries in the mouth.mayb try conrads blacktail fly for them and wildeperd.sum massive fish from those species there.also the reefs around the point from the harbour should produce sum nice elf.my old man got a 4.5kg fish there earlier this year.mayb try the river if its quite,will b ur best bet 4 a cob.should b safe 2 fish there at night.
    Agent Smith, do you get charged per letter typed ???????

The abbreviations boggle an old man's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post

sorry oom herman im typing on my phone and try and go as quick as possible.not as easy as a key board.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post

Just ask your girls to teach you, its called cellphone language....
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    sorry oom herman im typing on my phone and try and go as quick as possible.not as easy as a key board.
    Yup, heard about those new fandangled things that can even get you onto Flytalk, on a phone noggal.:eek Gonna get me one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    Just ask your girls to teach you, its called cellphone language)
    Ha, their fingers move so damn fast on Mixit I get crosseyed just watching them.
    Even under the tablecloth at a restuarant without even looking at the bloody keyboard which has 3 letters per key.:eek
    They will however, commandeer my new phone which is on order, and then proceed to enable every feature that the phone has, and once done give it back to me saying, "there you go Dad, all set up", but forget to explain to me what I'm "set up for", and even worse how to use sutch set up.

You will definitely pick up grunter and possibly belman on the east side of Stilbaai on the reedbeds, late afternoon with the incoming tide and a light breeze, dead drifting a prawn. Hook it through its horn so it swims down the dropoffs. I normally use a 1,5m 4,5kg fluoro leader...Its not fly, but you will catch something. trust me.

Cheers
    "I see the fly float gently down out of the air and land on target. For less than an instant I think, how can this be? Did I actually do that? But there is no time to contemplate philosophy or magic or the rewards of hard work. A trout is on the move..." - Ed Engle, Fishing Small Flies

Howzit chaps. I'm going to be in Paarl from the 7th till the 11th and then going to Stilbaai till the 22nd. Even though I'm going with my girlfriend... I'm still taking my 6wt, 9wt and a bass stok, she has no say in the matter. I'm also trying to find out information about fly fishing the Goukou River (stilbaai) so any pointers will be much appreciated, especially dealing with Leeries. And what are the options close to Paarl, mainly freshwater?

Shot guys

Tight lines

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast