Thread: Barkly-East (Bokspruit & Sterkspruit)

Default Barkly-East (Bokspruit & Sterkspruit)

Hi All,

I don't often get the time to chat on this "Forum", but Hello ALL.

Question:
    Does any-one know what the fishing is like at the "Bok & Sterk -Spruit Rivers"?
    I know that they have had alot of rain over the last few weeks.

I'm considering a trip to these rivers next week!

Thx
    Francois
    AMFFF

Quote Originally Posted by amfff View Post
    Hi All,

Question:

Thx
    Francois
    AMFFF
    The best thing to do would be to call the guys in Rhodes, Fred Steynberg, or Tony Kietzman. They will be able to give you a good idea of current conditions, as well as the procedures for booking fishing waters.
    If you get it when water levels are right, you will have a really good time. It's also about now that you can expect some good yellowfish activity.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi All,

Question:

Thx
    Francois
    AMFFF
    Francois - the rivers are currently high, but running very clear in the upper sections. Lower down on the Sterkspruit you might still struggle with some tinged water - but should be okay in a weeks time. This past weekend the weir at the confluence on the Sterk, Bell and Kraai was not visible, giving you an indication of the flows.

More rain is predicted on Saturday evening, but as I mentioned, any of the Upper sections of the Bok, Bell and Rifle will offer superb fishing.

I'm fishing Balloch over the weekend, but will swing past the Bell, Bok, Sterkspruit and Kraai and will report back on Monday, or you can just e-mail me if you want more info later on.

Cheers ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Andre & Mario

Thx for the feedback.

Mario, I'll e-mail you on Monday.

The last time I was there (early March 09), the lower Sterkspruit river was flowing strong & dirty.

thx
    Francois
    AMFFF

No rain since this past Sunday, rain predicted for Sat and Sun - but then nothing for the week. Which dates are you looking at?
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario,

I was looking at 18-19-20-21 November 09, but I will not be making the trip after all, due to (Work related issues).

So I planning for mid Jan 2010.

thx anyway.
    Francois
    AMFFF

Mario,

I was looking at 18-19-20-21 November 09, but I will not be making the trip after all, due to (Work related issues).

So I planning for mid Jan 2010.

thx anyway.
    Francois
    AMFFF
    Your trip would have coincided with some of the better water conditions in the past few years for this time of the season. It is a big pity you cannot make it, and me mentioning the water conditions probably does not help - sorry
    Mario Geldenhuys