Thread: Versatile and cheap mozam fly

Default Versatile and cheap mozam fly

Hey

Me and my parents are trying to plan a trip to somewhere in mozam. I am on the hunt for a 12 weight and own a 8 weight.

So now i need flies. After buying another fly rod i am not going to have a huge amount of bucks so what i was thinking about is maybe i could just buy a whole bunch of SF material and make flies out of that. The patterns i will try make from it will be: clousers, epoxy minnows, those flies from the article 'new tiger flies' (something like that from TCFF) and the SF fly for fish magazine.

I imagine we will have access to a boat. I will not target anything in particular but i would really like to catch a surface predator like a dorado or something similar.

So what pattern, material, hook size could you recommend for me?
    What have you had successes on?

Thanks

Go to the SBS section of forum and have a look at Saltwater section.

Make your selection from there.

For me the number one material is Frizz Fibre, because it is soft and movement is great. Because it is soft , it can wrap around the hook shank, and that is why some people dont like it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

My 2c would be to tie clousers with sf blend (pink white chartreuse and olive over white) in sizes 6 to 3/0. With those flies you'll cover most inshore and offshore fish and you won't need a shite load of tying materials. I've caught wave garrick on #2 streamers and baby gt's on 2/0 clousers. Stywe lyne, post a report back
    Last edited by Conrad Botes; 18-11-09 at 08:33 PM.

Don't waste time with anything other than Clousers.

For shore bound fishing I would tie them from #2 (2 inches long) up to 3/0 (4 inches max length) in Chartreuse over white only.

On the offshore side I would do them in 3/0 (again 4 inches) and 6/0 (6 to 7 inches long) in Chart/White and Tan/White. Don't be shy with the flash in the offshore patterns.

For the Kawa Kawa (Bonnies) you will need some sparse #2 clear Clousers tied with Supreme Hair. If the Bonnies don't eat this or when there are some Natal Snoek mixed in, then some VERY sparse #4 Chart/White Clousers will do the trick.

Don't forget to take some 80 odd lbs single strand wire for the offshore fishing but only use the wire when fishing blind. When targeting stuff like the Bonnies or Dorado, simply use 20 lbs mono. When you find Snoek, then take off the wire and switch to some 40 lbs fluoro to increase your strike rate.

Enjoy the trip. Geez, I'm jealous.
    MC

Thanks guys

I am making a list now of the materials needed.