Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Going all out

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    I cast VDF's rod with a 4wt floater. Flex-wise, it bends quite low into the blank and loads well enough with a short length of line out, although by feel I'd say the rod would do better with a slightly lighter line or a double taper. I had some trouble with pin-point accuracy (probably because my personal preference is for a somewhat faster rod) but not so much that it would spoil a days fishing. Also, probably for the same reason, I couldn't do those nice, technical round-the-bend casts. The blank seems a little thin-walled for bashing around in the undergrowth, but if looked after there's no reason why it should give any trouble. The L&F is fine at the price and no doubt it would suit many an angler perfectly. Truth is, though, there are more reasons for buying a specific rod than functionality alone. Remember, we're talking here about someone who's looking for a rod to go with a Danielsson, which itself is much more than just a functional tool!
    To go with a Danielsson, definately not the right rod, that won't be a fit by any means. This rod doesn't even compare to any of the rods mentioned in this thread, but will be compairable to some lower end rods and it certainly aint the worst of the bunch, in my view this is actualy a mid range rod.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    I had a Loomis & Franklin 3wt Matrix, sold it 3 or 4 months ago, it was actualy quite a nice rod and certainly not a bottom of the range rod. Mine had a slow action and when u fish it youl know what he means by no backbone. I liked it in smallstreams with delicate presentations. Fixed it up with a Rio #3 pocketwater line (not a wf) it worked great.

I can understand that you might have dificulty casting it in windy conditions, but with my line setup even very long leaders were no problem. If you upgrade keep this rod as a backup, its not a bad rod.
    Thanks Chris! I will keep that in mind, definitly won't just throw it away. Honestly, I have to cast it again soon with the 4wt line as I'm not too sure at how well it loads, presentation given, accuracy, etc. etc. as I haven't casted it in quite some time now. I blame short term memory loss with all the frikkin second exams I've had these past few weeks. Anyway, as soon as I get back I will try out some other 3wt lines again on a windless day this time.

Since we're talking about going all out on a rod setup here. How difficult is it to build your own custom rod? I've read about it on the web and heard about a few guys that have done it themselves. I think it's quite an interesting thing to be able to do it, I would very much like to learn how to do it sometime as I enjoy working with my hands and creating something. But being a bit of a perfectionist I think I will spend way too much time on the details than necessary. Just to be sure, if a stuff-up is to be made, can it be fixed by one of the professionals without buying a new blank or are there certain things that after being done can't have a do-over?
    BOSHOF! wil jy huis toe gaan? Jaa samajoor! JY KANNIE!

The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick

Since this thread has been so informative, I have a quick question on the Danielsson. I'm looking at buying the Midge W and according to their website, that specific reel weigths 90gr. Also according to them, it can hold line weigths 0 to 5. My question is, can this reel be that versatile that it's able to hold such a wide variety of line wt's? Also regarding the above question, can you put this reel on a 5wt outfit and it would balance out?

The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick

Quote Originally Posted by Virgildonatifan View Post
    Since this thread has been so informative, I have a quick question on the Danielsson. I'm looking at buying the Midge W and according to their website, that specific reel weigths 90gr. Also according to them, it can hold line weigths 0 to 5. My question is, can this reel be that versatile that it's able to hold such a wide variety of line wt's? Also regarding the above question, can you put this reel on a 5wt outfit and it would balance out?

I asked the same question on another thread and the very knowlegdable Mark Krieg said the following.....

Danielsson do state a wide line-weight range on their reels. For a three-weight suited to our conditions, the "Original Nymph" would be a nice choice. These are true super-large arbor reels. They look big on the rod, but the design is superbly practical.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=7337&page=13
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I asked the same question on another thread and the very knowlegdable Mark Krieg said the following.....

Danielsson do state a wide line-weight range on their reels. For a three-weight suited to our conditions, the "Original Nymph" would be a nice choice. These are true super-large arbor reels. They look big on the rod, but the design is superbly practical.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=7337&page=13
    I talked to Mark about it and he suggested I look at buying the midge rather than the nymph. Would it be possible then to buy extra spools and use this reel on a 3, 4 and 5wt outfit and they'll all balance out?

The "Midge" and the "Nymph" are visually almost identical. For a dedicated 3wt stream outfit in the 7'6" to 8' class, the slight weight saving on the Midge could tip the balance in its favour. The Nymph model has a little more line capacity and is ever-so-slightly heavier; it should match well with a 3wt rod in 8'6" to 9'. The question, however, is actually pretty meaningless. In this "class" of tackle purchase, you buy what appeals to you and you alone. Take it for granted that there will be as many opinions out there as there are fishermen, but that they won't be the ones fishing with your R10 000 outfit!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13