Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Migration to Dropshot

Default Migration to Dropshot

recently a poster on sealine wrote:

"I personally think that drop-shotting has just about killed shore-based saltwater -flyfishing ,it is easier and also not so dependant on the wind."

I notice the salty forum is somewhat quietish these days ... is everyone off with their dropshot rigs?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

I have also noticed a quiteness in the saltwater ff ranks, Dropshot sucks people.......you might think its the same as flyfishing...but really its just bait fishing with scented, flavoured plastic sards :P

research has shown dropshotters are more likely to suffer from keeping undersized kob and steenbrus...and also erectile disfunction...

I am a convert to dropshot... Salt water fish don't like me when I am fly fishing.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by devin i View Post
    I have also noticed a quiteness in the saltwater ff ranks, Dropshot sucks people.......you might think its the same as flyfishing...but really its just bait fishing with scented, flavoured plastic sards :P

research has shown dropshotters are more likely to suffer from keeping undersized kob and steenbrus...and also erectile disfunction...
    You may be right. I shelled out on dropshot kit to day in anticipation of the migration to the coast in a few weeks. Thought I might as well see what all the fuss is about. Strangely I haven't thought of women or sex the whole afternoon, only fishing.
    When it comes to size, lie.... lie until you believe yourself, but lie.

Dropshotting is for people who dont know how to Fly fish
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by White Squall View Post
    You may be right. I shelled out on dropshot kit to day in anticipation of the migration to the coast in a few weeks. Thought I might as well see what all the fuss is about. Strangely I haven't thought of women or sex the whole afternoon, only fishing.
    ha ha ha

you better quickly burn that drop shit gear at least 7 times, hurry, while you still have time.....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I recently baught a drops shot rig and will test it out come Dec at Mosselbaai. I have a 10wt fly fishing rig which is obviously not suited for light estaury fishing.

Will see how it goes, but I don't think the one should replace the other, will do both

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    recently a poster on sealine wrote:

"I personally think that drop-shotting has just about killed shore-based saltwater -flyfishing ,it is easier and also not so dependant on the wind."

I notice the salty forum is somewhat quietish these days ... is everyone off with their dropshot rigs?
    Thank *** for the rise of the drip snot brigade, it has given us a whole lot more space to backcast in!
    Great marketing from the Durban based Kings(and ESA bunch) as well as Basilmanning to popularise DS and capture the wannnabee saltwater FF's in SA.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    ...capture the wannnabee saltwater FF's in SA.
    That would be me. I have a ds kit but I must say that I spend a lot more time trying to cast the fly in the wind than I do with the spinning rig.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

I fished with a guy kitted out to the t's for leeries at blakes. He was saged and simmed out from top to bottom....... took one look at my new dropshot kit and quickly proclaimed that "dipshi*t" was a load of bunk that did not work..

A day or two later the leeries were on and I was hauling them in in buckets one after the other, he came over after much whooping on my part and started casting in the same area as myself. I must have landed about 10 and hooked double that (debarded dropshot hooks don't work that well), I don't think he had a touch! The only thing I can ascribe it to is that I was getting hookups in midwater and cranking them as hard and fast as I could with the odd pause inbetween.

I was thoroughly impressed with dropshot because I seldom blank with leeries whereas I f-fished over a year with little to no success.
    Last edited by dar; 03-12-09 at 09:09 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast