Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Our green & gold - Clanwilliam Yellowfish

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It was recently brought to my attention that the Western Cape Authorities governing over the conservation side of things has put the Clanwilliam Yellowfish on the Endangered list and now has to following laws to accompany it:

- It is illegal to catch, contain or kill any Clanwilliam Yellowfish.
    - I may only be caught by permitted people in a research authority and for relocation purposes by the same concerning groups.
    - Thus, no recreational fisherman, conventional or fly fishing may set out to catch, or target these fish for whatever purpose.

Is this news to everyone? For me it is! Is it a matter of: Target this specie, but dont get caught yourself? What to do now?
    Well, if you follow this path (if the passage holds true), don't ever, EVER complain about anything that irks you in the present South Africa!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Nee Mario, dis glad nie my bedoelinge nie. Was jy bewus van die ''law''? Ek was nie. Target vriende, forum users en ander Clainwilliams uit onkunde of is hulle wel bewus van die nuwe law en ignoreer dit.

Obviousely wil ek baie graag 'n Clainwilliam vang, maar how true is this law? Soos die skrywer se: "Hy is bewus van die wetgewing'', maar waar staan dit in die Staat Gazette?
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Nee Mario, dis glad nie my bedoelinge nie. Was jy bewus van die ''law''? Ek was nie. Target vriende, forum users en ander Clainwilliams uit onkunde of is hulle wel bewus van die nuwe law en ignoreer dit.

Obviousely wil ek baie graag 'n Clainwilliam vang, maar how true is this law? Soos die skrywer se: "Hy is bewus van die wetgewing'', maar waar staan dit in die Staat Gazette?
    Ian, these are the 1st words about the "law", therefor saying "if it's true". If someone can provide concrete evidence to this it would be very helpful.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

That is indeed the purpose of this post....maybe someone can put the spotlight on this.

Thanks
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

As far as I am aware this is a big load of BS......

How can you believe anybody who says that Clanwilliams are so endangered that you now only find them in the Breede and Noordhoek???? WTF???

MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    As far as I am aware this is a big load of BS......

How can you believe anybody who says that Clanwilliams are so endangered that you now only find them in the Breede and Noordhoek???? WTF???

MC
    True & that is indeed good to know

The NEMBA regualtions which came into effect in the middle of 2007 are pretty clear in that Clanwilliam yellows are listed, and as such cant be harassed, pursued, "lying in wait for" (it's in there lol) by any means at all.

They were still listed in the NEMBA update in December 2007, but things may have changed recently. There was an update in the national gazette, number 32090 on 03/04/2010 and you can download the document from www.greengazette.co.za

The confussion however stems from the fact that the NEMBA regulations were drafted with terrestrial fauna and flora in mind. As a fisherman just because you set out to catch a SM bass doesnt mean you definitely wont catch a Clanwilliam by accident. There is also the issue of permits when targeting NEMBA listed species, if you're on private land for example according to the letter of the law you need to submit a written application along with your permit or some such nonsense.
    Check your knots!

[QUOTE=Ian;164508]One of my target specie for 2010 was and is a Clainwilliam. The size does not really matter, but its all about the photo. And for this I have been skimping on those that do know to take me. Unfortunately a friend pull out for this coming week-end. But as it is, I have been contacted yesterday to guide for Clainwilliams. /QUOTE]

whats wrong with this picture?

what, you don't think one should know what they are dong before doing it?

Default endangered CWY

i read in the complete flyfisher or the flyfishing magazine last year about this...can't remember it exactly but it was said that they are now endangered and we, as recreational anglers, are not permitted to target them.

guess we gona have to befriend a farmer in a big way, otherwise behind bars may have a new meaning to us

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast