Default Hotspot CDC Klinkie

Instructions assume right handed tier

Hook: Grip 14723BL #12
    Thread: Shreer thread 14/0 - Black
    Hotspot thread: Danville's 70 Denier - Chartruese
    Dubbing: Rabbit - Black
    Hackle: CDC - Black and Dun

1) Place hook in vice

2) Tie in hotspot thread at the point where the abdomen will meet the thorax, about 1/3 of the shank length back from the eye. Wind, in touching turns, down towards the point making sure to keep the thread flat by spinning it anticlockwise every fey wraps.

3) Wrap back towards the eye up to where you tied in, again making sure to keep the thread flat.

4) Tie in the main thread just in front of the tie in point.

5) Bring the main thread underneath the hotspot thread and continue wrapping towards the point. Clean off the main thread tag and hotspot thread.

6) Again making sure to keep the thread flat, wrap down toward the point and back up again in touching turns, leaving 2mm of hotspot exposed.

7) Add some sparse dubbing to the thread.

8) In slightly spaced turns wrap back to the hotspot. Clear off any extra dubbing that may be on the thread.

Last edited by FishWhisperer; 18-12-09 at 04:18 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

9) Twist the thread clockwise to tighten and wrap back to the thorax. Wrap in spaced turns using the thread as a rib and making sure not to trap too much dubbing.

10) Cut off a piece of foam. Position the thread half way between were the thorax starts and the eye. Place the foam on top of the hook shank and secure.

11) Trim the waste foam (the vice side). The post should now be facing forward. Twist some more dubbing onto the thread.

12) Wind the dubbing to form the thorax. Be sure to wrap one or two wraps in front of the post to prop it up slightly

13) Form a dubbing loop and insert both CDC feathers. You can use as many different colour as you like. The Magic tool from Marc Petigean makes this very easy. Spin the bobbin to trap the CDC barbs.

14) Wrap the dubbing loop around the post. Each turn should be underneath the last. Make sure not to trap any barbs.

15) Pull all the CDC barbs backwards and whip finish, making sure to keep the eye clear.

16) Cut the excess thread and trim to post to size.

Now go give it a swim!
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 18-12-09 at 04:45 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

lovely stuff Matt.
    "I see the fly float gently down out of the air and land on target. For less than an instant I think, how can this be? Did I actually do that? But there is no time to contemplate philosophy or magic or the rewards of hard work. A trout is on the move..." - Ed Engle, Fishing Small Flies

Great sbs Matt!
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

Very Lekker Maddy!! I like a lot!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Awesome fly Matt.

Definitely going to give it a go up on the Bushman's here where a Klinky has been my best fly to date...

Knew I was saving the papaya packaging for something!
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Nice SBS boet...Glad to see some SBS's coming back on the forum. Lets keep it up chasps!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Nice post material...
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring