Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: My Birthday Present

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    I wonder how the 99 5wt would be as a general stillwater trout and yellowfish rod?
    It will be a great rod for both, but the 4wt will be better I think, , as it might allow you to fish lighter tippets, and can double as a stream rod as well. for me, the 4wt would be more versatile, as I have long rods in 3, 5 and 6 wt's, but this is my first 4 wt.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    It will be a great rod for both, but the 4wt will be better I think, , as it might allow you to fish lighter tippets, and can double as a stream rod as well. for me, the 4wt would be more versatile, as I have long rods in 3, 5 and 6 wt's, but this is my first 4 wt.
    Andre i have always found a 4wt to be a bit of an inbewteen rod. A little to heavy for the streams and a bit to light for stillwaters!

Have you got a plan for this rod?

P.S. Congrats on the new Sage!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

As a small still water rod, I think it will work well.
    Light enough for delicate fishing, long enough to reach over the bushes etc.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Andre i have always found a 4wt to be a bit of an inbewteen rod. A little to heavy for the streams and a bit to light for stillwaters!

Have you got a plan for this rod?

P.S. Congrats on the new Sage!
    Yes, I would agree, and this is how I have always felt, hence, me never owning a 4wt....until now.
    This is the strangest rod imaginable. It has the backbone to cast a team of flies as you would normally do on a still water, yet has the delicacy to fish very light tippets in a nymphing application. It was designed to cast multiple heavy flies in a large river application, so what's the difference between that, and a stillwater? As for fishing a dry fly, I don't think so, but nothing will surprise me, besides thats not what i got it for anyway.
    I have recently realised that Sage are comming out with stuff, that can't really be categorised into the general mould that we have become used to. I think that this rod might be the first genuine all rounder, in the sense that it can cast like a heavier rod, but can fish like a lighter rod. It is the wierdest thing, but you have to try this rod to believe it. Even the "car park" casting test...its a rocket I tell you, yet, its about a soft and flexible as my Greys Missionary, and about as light as my ZXL, spooky man...I just wonder what next.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes, I would agree, and this is how I have always felt, hence, me never owning a 4wt....until now.
    This is the strangest rod imaginable. It has the backbone to cast a team of flies as you would normally do on a still water, yet has the delicacy to fish very light tippets in a nymphing application. It was designed to cast multiple heavy flies in a large river application, so what's the difference between that, and a stillwater? As for fishing a dry fly, I don't think so, but nothing will surprise me, besides thats not what i got it for anyway.
    I have recently realised that Sage are comming out with stuff, that can't really be categorised into the general mould that we have become used to. I think that this rod might be the first genuine all rounder, in the sense that it can cast like a heavier rod, but can fish like a lighter rod. It is the wierdest thing, but you have to try this rod to believe it. Even the "car park" casting test...its a rocket I tell you, yet, its about a soft and flexible as my Greys Missionary, and about as light as my ZXL, spooky man...I just wonder what next.
    Sound like a very interesting rod!

I guess you will just have to give me a cast sometime so i can see for myself
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Picked mine up today from Upstream. The 99 4wt, can't wait to get it wet...
    Congrats.... sounds like a fine rod.

Im very happy with the 6 weight, may go 4 weight later. Then between those two rods, a host of variety of fishing can be explored. What I liked about the 6 weight is the fighting butt on the end of the cork, is there same on the 4 weight.
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

How would the 4wt be as yellowfish fish rod?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5