Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vaal Streams

I had the misfortune of breaking off on some rocks more than once and this was definitely due to my inexperience rather than the guide not being prepared. As per my report, the guide who took us on the river was an encyclopedia of knowledge and his instruction, according to me was priceless!

FlyFanatic Banned User

henk, i believe you! but, if the client struggles to catch fish, it is the guide's responsibility to keep helping you until you catch fish, or dont. if that means he doesnt get to fish himself, well thats the way it is then.

there was an excellent article in TCFF magazine some time ago about guides, ill check if i can find it for you, it will give you a great insight as to what you should expect.

if you got hung op on rocks all the time, at least it means you were fishing right down at the bottom, thats a good start already!

P.S. If you think you got your value for money, then it is all perfectly fine k? I just make these comments as a general, no offence intended!
    Last edited by FlyFanatic; 07-01-10 at 11:15 AM.

Hi Jaco

No offence taken!
    If you could get the article for me that would be great! Very keen to see what they've got to say.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    henk, i believe you! but, if the client struggles to catch fish, it is the guide's responsibility to keep helping you until you catch fish, or dont. if that means he doesnt get to fish himself, well thats the way it is then.

P.S. If you think you got your value for money, then it is all perfectly fine k? I just make these comments as a general, no offence intended!
    Having done some guiding, I always carried a made up rod, which was often switched for the customers rod when he hung up, lost flies etc, so he could keep on fishing.
    The only time I "fished" was to demonstrate a technique or when the client INSISTS you to do so, and then only for a few minutes.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Hear, hear, Gary! that's PROPER and professional guiding!

I'm sure the guy who guided Henk was a decent and competent guide but unless I as a paying client say that he may fish the guide should earn the bucks he makes by guiding and trying to ensure I catch fish in the right spots with the right technique and tackle set-up.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Thanks for the excelent report however i agree with the sentiment that the guide it there to get you into fish not to fish, that is why they are the guide and not the fisherman. This asside, i am glad that you got some fish and that the experience was one to write home too (or at least to write forum too).

Keen to go have a look at the place some time
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Talking

Ok Folks, went to fish Vaal Streams.... very, very, very, very tough wading, but I had a great time. 5 fish in 4 hours, I reckon not too shabby for a first time on that water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

Hey Guys
    Been fishing Vaal streams since they opened their gate a few months ago and just thought ide give some feedback.

Firstly, Isaac (the owner) is a real down to earth flyfishing enthusiast. He said he saw this stretch of river and knew that he had to have it for flyfishermen to enjoy. The accommodation (a house and smaller units are available), are really good quality, reasonably priced and comfortable (read-granite tops and stainless-steel fridges!!!).

He has developed this place with the same idea as to how Eendekuil is currently run, i.e. limited rods/flyfishing only, however, untill he gets enough anglers to know about his place, he has to accept the "african-maize-meal throwers" to pay the every day expenses.

Now about the fishing...
    The first time I fished this water, I noticed how different it is to the part of the Vaal that I am familiar with (below Barrage).
    It is more of a grey/cloudy colour, has NO hyasinth, has stone-flies (which I am told cannot survive if pollution levels are high), has YELLOW yellowfish (more like sterkies) and even after heavy rains, is pretty fishable. To give an example, went to fish below Parys the other day...150 cumecs... 1 hour drive to Vaal Streams...25 cumecs!

The water is quite rocky with PLENTY of riffles and little side channels. About 60m down stream, there is a large, deep pool that im sure will hold some Largies. He has an understanding with the owners above and below his property, and thus fishable water is probably 500m or more (I say more, because I tried to go as far up as possible, but when the water started chilling my balls, I decided not to go further/deeper, although there was a beautiful rapid that I could see just ahead).

On the note of nat-ballas... the water temp here is quite a bit lower than normal. I am told that because the water comes from the deeper layers of the dam, it remains quite cold till late in the season. All I know is that when I went in Sept last year, I had to get off the water due to the cold, when guys fishing below Parys were saying the fish there were spawning...

So far this season, I have taken a number of brightly coloured yellows on a variety of patterns from typical holding water. Of interest is that 70% of my fish caught have been on the large control fly. Perhaps with the presence of the stone flies, these fish are not scared to take a big fly? The fishing doesnt seem to be more difficult, but you do have to move around to get the fish. Average size seems to be around 1.5kg, with some bigger fish now and again.

So there it is...my little secret spot revealed...but hopefully through this Isaac is able to get the kind of fishermen he wants, keep the fishing pressure to acceptable levels and protect the spawning beds/fish so that you too can experience this 'new' Vaal.

Quote Originally Posted by sofly View Post
    Hey Guys
    Been fishing Vaal streams since they opened their gate a few months ago and just thought ide give some feedback.

Firstly, Isaac (the owner) is a real down to earth flyfishing enthusiast. He said he saw this stretch of river and knew that he had to have it for flyfishermen to enjoy. The accommodation (a house and smaller units are available), are really good quality, reasonably priced and comfortable (read-granite tops and stainless-steel fridges!!!).

He has developed this place with the same idea as to how Eendekuil is currently run, i.e. limited rods/flyfishing only, however, untill he gets enough anglers to know about his place, he has to accept the "african-maize-meal throwers" to pay the every day expenses.

Now about the fishing...
    The first time I fished this water, I noticed how different it is to the part of the Vaal that I am familiar with (below Barrage).
    It is more of a grey/cloudy colour, has NO hyasinth, has stone-flies (which I am told cannot survive if pollution levels are high), has YELLOW yellowfish (more like sterkies) and even after heavy rains, is pretty fishable. To give an example, went to fish below Parys the other day...150 cumecs... 1 hour drive to Vaal Streams...25 cumecs!

The water is quite rocky with PLENTY of riffles and little side channels. About 60m down stream, there is a large, deep pool that im sure will hold some Largies. He has an understanding with the owners above and below his property, and thus fishable water is probably 500m or more (I say more, because I tried to go as far up as possible, but when the water started chilling my balls, I decided not to go further/deeper, although there was a beautiful rapid that I could see just ahead).

On the note of nat-ballas... the water temp here is quite a bit lower than normal. I am told that because the water comes from the deeper layers of the dam, it remains quite cold till late in the season. All I know is that when I went in Sept last year, I had to get off the water due to the cold, when guys fishing below Parys were saying the fish there were spawning...

So far this season, I have taken a number of brightly coloured yellows on a variety of patterns from typical holding water. Of interest is that 70% of my fish caught have been on the large control fly. Perhaps with the presence of the stone flies, these fish are not scared to take a big fly? The fishing doesnt seem to be more difficult, but you do have to move around to get the fish. Average size seems to be around 1.5kg, with some bigger fish now and again.

So there it is...my little secret spot revealed...but hopefully through this Isaac is able to get the kind of fishermen he wants, keep the fishing pressure to acceptable levels and protect the spawning beds/fish so that you too can experience this 'new' Vaal.

Thanks for the report, I must say, had loadsa fun today. My calves are sore right now from the wading, but it was well worth it. The water was cooler than I am used to and more milky as well, but did enjoy it.

Have been chatting to Isaac on the phone and email and he does seem a really down to earth guy, and definitely a ff enthusiast.

I will definitely go back to this farm. Your secret water is quite enjoyable.
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

Thanks guys for the great feedback. Definately a venue worth visiting.

When you talk about rod limits, how many rods do you think it could take??
    6, 8, 10 ??????

When you say there is 500m of river to fish, how wide is the river ?

Last question, is this the venue we used to know as the Italian's under the high level bridge just below the dam wall, or is it further downstream??

I do not see any directions on their web site, but there again I'm doff.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast