Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Vaal Streams

Quote Originally Posted by Vicus View Post
    I just tried to phone them now, and got voice messagel that I should contact them via e-mail. So, it seems they are still in operation. Reason why I am interested in fishing there, is that the constant flow might be a good option while the flows below the barrage is too high, like now. I gather this is a small-ish venue, so the idea is to go mid-week while on leave. I am sending a mail now, and will post here if they reply, for the sake of those interested.
    I was there over the weekend, like you say the flows are more steady, however the water was incredibly murky this weekend. Was there for a bachelors so didn't fish much but got a couple fish. It isn't a small venue in fact, very wide section of the river with loads of different channels and small islands, lovely spot with loads of fishy looking water.

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    I was there over the weekend, like you say the flows are more steady, however the water was incredibly murky this weekend. Was there for a bachelors so didn't fish much but got a couple fish. It isn't a small venue in fact, very wide section of the river with loads of different channels and small islands, lovely spot with loads of fishy looking water.
    Thanks for the feed-back. Well, I think that settles it. I recon it is worth exploring this venue as an option when the fishing conditions down-stream deteriorate. I will try an pick a good day sometime next week.

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    Was it you that did the bachelors with tapemanzi?

I did get a reply to my mail, the most relevant part:

gates open at 07h30 or earlier by arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by icstuff View Post
    Was it you that did the bachelors with tapemanzi?
    Nope. Not us

So, I paid Vaal Streams a visit today.

I don't have much to add to this thread, really. Most of what is written here is true. I guess I can just give my version to confirm some of the opinions here.

The booking process is a bit laborious. You need to fill out an online form, and book ahead of time, even for a day visit mid-week. That said, they are pretty well organised, and the reason for the booking process is because they limit rods to 10/day. Which is very cool, in my opinion. I spoke to Isaac, one of the co-owners over the phone. Very polite and friendly gentleman, most helpful. The facilities looks pretty good as well. Nice, neat reception area.

I had to pay a R500 deposit for a gate remote, to get access to the river. To some, this may be a bit over the top, but, as far as I am concerned, if it limits the rods on the water, so much the better. I promptly got my deposit back when I handed my remote in at the end of the day.

The fishing was not easy. Earlier in this thread it was stated as an opinion that the biomass at Vaal Streams is substantially less than below the barrage. I must concur here. The levels of visible fish activity is much less at Vaal Streams than at Eendekuil, that is certain. I am pretty sure fish numbers are less. I started fishing at 08:30, and landed a small yellow half an hour later close to the camping grounds. Barely ten casts later I was into a better fish, but it came off after about 20 seconds. After that, I moved upstream in my usual way, czech nymphing methodically all pockets & glides that looked like it may hold fish. I covered about three small glides and two big ones. The wading, was tough, really tough. The texture of the rocks are waaay difffrent to Eendekuil. They are like an ice rink, silky smooth. And due to the fairly steep gradient, the undertow is pretty strong in places. This was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I can confirm. "Challenging" would be a fairly apt description of the wading. Not hard enough to be outright dangerous, but certainly not something I would advise for young boys or women. I covered about half the area of water I would have done at Eendekuil. That said, I was taking fair pains to be fairly methodical, and fishing areas thoroughly. At about 13:00 I landed another small yellow in the middle of a large glide. About an hour later at the head of the same glide, I saw two big yellows. They were both only about 70% submerged, with the upper halves of the forks of their tails clearly visible. I am not over-stating when I say "big". 3kg+ no doubt about it. My stalking skills are obviously not up to scratch, as both slunk off before I could get within range. In my defense, getting to them was no mean feat, as I had to brave strong undertow, and slippery rocks. That was the last I saw of any fish for the rest of the day. I got off the water at approx 17:00.

To be fair, factor in that I am still a novice to yellows on fly. I have had only four outings targeting yellows before this. I do know some basics though, as I have attended Mr. Courier's clinic of 6 December, which proved effective, as I caught 5 yellows in that afternoon session, a record for me, in that space of time.

If I had to sum up Vaal Streams, in one sentence, it would be:" Tough and challenging". Tough wading, challenging fishing. But...I must also say..sitting here now at the end of the day, I feel invigorated, like I have done something of substance. today. My 46 year old body can feel the day, a little dull ache here and there where my legs got a good work-out fighting the river, the memory of two fish taken in "not so easy" conditions.

Vaal Streams is not the sort of water where you just go and catch fish, that is certain. But, it is rewarding, and invigorating that is also certain. And to be sure, it is not for everyone, but it has not seen the last of me. Every once in a while, when I crave the feeling I have now, I will visit them again.
    Last edited by Vicus; 10-12-14 at 09:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Best report of the year.

Monday morning we are doing the drift at Vaal streams, and all I can say it is one hell of a battle to make a booking. Online booking request must be filled in as you cannot phone to make a booking, then you need to read a novel to figure out what you must do with the documents they send you. Then to complete the indemnity form that needs to be send back with the POP for everyone joining, ["No person will be allowed on the property if we did not receive the indemnity by email prior to arrival']. Now I have to arrange for the guy fishing with me to go to his office at Medupi and sign the indemnity mail it back so I can send everything back to Vaal streams with the correct "email subject".

I have mailed all the documents required "i hope" and now the money must reflect in their account before we arrive. Not a good start I really hope the fishing goes better than the booking process.
    “What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly fisher calls a great hatch.” ~ Patrick F.

So here is my report of a shocking venue...

I would like to share the following to prevent anyone from having the day we had today with Vaal Streams.

Made a booking for a drift with Vaal Streams and received confirmation of the booking of R925.00 for two people on Friday after a very tedious booking process as per my previous post. Arrived at the venue at 08:00 to find there is no one at the venue. After 30 calls the owner and constantly ringing the bell at the gate trying any way to get hold of someone we gave up at 09:30.

As we were about to leave the neighbour left for town and I stopped him and he gave the owner of Vaal Streams a call to see if he would answer and what do you know 5min later he phoned back Andre the very helpfull neighbour. Pissed off I took the call and asked wtf is going on as we have a booking that is paid for and we have been standing outside the gate for an hour and a half. The guy replied you dont have a booking today. I got confirmation I replied so in that case you stole my f@&$ money. After a proper argument in my mother tongue "afrikaans" he hung up with the following "fok@f jou fo@en sleg hond".

Andre the friendly neighbour gave us access to the river through his plot, of course we could not do the drift so fished the rapids, good water but the size of the fish was very avg.

Now to try and get my money back from this guy is the next step.

PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT VAAL STREAMS!!!

Thanx for the update.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567