Thread: Fishing Port Alfred in Feb

Question Fishing Port Alfred in Feb

Hi
    Has anyone fished Port Alfred Kowie area in February?
    What flies work the best, as I have not had the opportunity to do saltwater fishing...

Thanks
    Gerrie

Wat wil jy nou eintlik in Port Alfred gaan doen?

Ry 2 ure verder en vang Geles
    "Vermoëns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¬ Lou Holtz

Talking

Ek het nog nie n see vis op flieg gevang nie...so is n challenge vir my...

Hi Gerrie, have not fished the area myself, but planning to get there soon, possibly march april, so if you do go in feb some feedback will be great.
    if you search for port alfred there as been a couple of threads on the area so you will get some recommendations of flies and areas to try. As you say you havent caught a fish in the salt yet, dont muck around to much with changing flies, go with an olive over white clouser, rather smaller than to big. have faith in your fly, and rather change all your other variables. specific areas come alive with certain stages of the tide, and as you wont know without experience its best to try a spot, work it properly, with different retrieves and depths, if nothing happens, move around try somewhere else, but do not write the area of, try it again on another stage of the tide and you might just get lucky (luck plays a big part in my saltwater fishing).
    and apart from the olive/white clouser, a surface fly popper or flipper is a good prospecting fly for early mornings late afternoons.
    This is very generic recomendations, but hope it helps a bit.
    all the best
    adriaan