Thread: Sailwing Dun

Default Sailwing Dun

Waiting in anticipation for the streams to open for a brand new season I searched a bit for new fly patterns. During this pleasant search I came across the Sail Wing dun, a pattern developed by Andre Brun, I just knew there was stacks of potential in this pattern.

My first two outings of the season proved my initial suspicions were spot on, with numerous fish eagerly rising to the Sail Wing dun. In my opinion this fly carries all the attributes of a great all-round mayfly imitation. - Easy to tie on a range of hook sizes. - Easily adapted to different mayfly species. - Low floating profile. - Floats well. - High visibility. - Quite a realistic impressionistic pattern. - Imitates the emerging stage of the insects when they are extremely vulnerable. Tie a few for your next outing and don’t be surprised as the first fish rise to your Sail Wing dun.

Recipe

Hook: Mustad R 30 / Grip 11011 BL # 12 - #18. For a Klinkhammer profile use a Grip 14723BL
    Thread: 8/0 or 70 denier colour to match body
    Tail: Z-lon or Antron, white/grey or colour similar to fly
    Body: Dry Fly dubbing. Popular colours are olive/black/grey/brown/cream
    Wing: Poly Yarn/Frizz Fiber
    Hackle: Brown / Grizzly

Step 1

Secure the Antron at the bend of the hook, approximately the length of the hook shank.

Step 2

Dub the abdomen 2/3 down the hook shank length.

Step 3

For a size 14 hook split a length of poly yarn in 4 sections, use only one section. Tie in the yarn at the thorax with three overlaying wraps half way down the length of the yarn.

Step 4

Fold the yarn back on itself and built up a thread base in front, securing the yarn.

Step 5

Prepare and tie in a hackle behind the wing.

Step 6

Dub the thorax.

Step 7

Wrap 1 to 2 turns of hackle between the wing sections and three turns in front of the wing. Secure hackle and tie off. Whip finish.

Step 8

Trim the yarn wing to shape and the hackle fibers protruding below the hook shank.

Excellent pattern. Works like a bomb and is quick to tie.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.